|For other characters named Neil, see Neil.|
Background[edit | edit source]
Travelling to Black Mountain when it was originally under the leadership of Marcus, Neil was one of the only first-gen super mutants in Black Mountain before Tabitha's arrival and the influx of Nightkin. After the collapse of the original Black Mountain community and the migration of Marcus and his few followers to Jacobstown, Neil was sent to Black Mountain by Marcus to spy on Tabitha, who had previously overthrown him and taken control of the area. He hints at another reason as to why he's not at Jacobstown, but will not elaborate further than that.
Because he is spying on Tabitha, Neil does not respect Tabitha or her rule and considers her to be a mutinous crazy that gained her cult of personality through the same race supremacy rhetoric he's seen before. What's more is that Neil will even go so far as aid in her assassination if it means the mutants at Black Mountain can have a life with less brainwashing. Unfortunately, spying hasn't done much good, as none of the second generation mutants were motivated to revolt and oust Tabitha from control. Neil now warns other mutants who pass by the road to Black Mountain to go to Jacobstown instead. Should Tabitha be ousted from Black Mountain, Neil will remain at Black Mountain to point other mutants who may have heard Tabitha's signal toward Jacobstown. He is also a great source of basic information on super mutants and nightkin, if any travelers will listen to him, but has little patience getting into the finer details. Because he is a first-generation super mutant, he is significantly more intelligent, calm and polite than most of the other hulking brutes wandering the wastes, but even he has his limits, like being compared to his more reckless brethren just because he is a mutant.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interaction overview[edit | edit source]
|This character starts quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Crazy, Crazy, Crazy: Neil tasks the Courier with overthrowing Tabitha from her rule. He can be persuaded (with 50 Speech) to aid the Courier by leading away the nightkin guarding Tabitha's broadcast station.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
Neil will warn the Courier about the danger ahead, Black Mountain.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Neil is not in his shack, he may be standing by two rocks outside of the crater with two dead Brotherhood of Steel paladins, to warn the Courier about going onto the mountain.
- Once Tabitha is gone from the mountain, Neil will stay at his shack in order to redirect other super mutants that may have heard Tabitha's broadcast.
- If the Courier was able to convince Neil for assistance, he will instead stay at the higher area of the mountain by the toppled satellite dish.
- Neil will not fight any of the hostile super mutants nor nightkin, even if he sees combat in front of him.
- In the demo, Neil had the appearance of a Vault 87 super mutant.
- If the Courier manages to convince Tabitha that a revolt is occurring in Black Mountain, Neil will not offer to distract the nightkin guards near the summit.
- Neil was originally supposed to use a custom nail board, which The Courier cannot use. It can be found in the game files named BMWeapNailBoard.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Neil appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 When waiting to help you at the top of Black Mountain, Neil will give the response "whatever you do, be quick about it" no matter what you tell him. This is caused by the conditions for the "Let's go" response being unavailable if any of the Nightkin guards are dead, rather than if all of them are dead. [verified]
- Playstation 3 If you accept Neil's help but enter Black Mountain from the locked gate on the southwest side (by Tabitha's room) instead of going through the checkpoints, Neil will run around randomly when you approach him and cannot be spoken to. Waiting causes his map marker to move near the domes, but he is nowhere to be found. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 If you visit Black Mountain for the first time, Neil will wander off and can be sometimes found dead or under a rock when you visit later. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Often, when he is talking, his mouth movements are out of sync or aren't moving at all. [verified]
- Xbox 360 After meeting Neil near the crater of Black Mountain (had you passed the Speech check), he will either vanish, be glitched and get stuck, or get hung up on a rock behind him as he tries to run ahead. [verified]