Nathan was born in 2212. He ran a caravan route for over 30 years with his wife, Manya. During that time, he became obsessed with the Enclave radio broadcasts. Since then, Nathan has become a fanatic, believing that the Enclave will bring salvation to the wasteland and is trying to convince everyone else in Megaton of this fact. Most of the residents write Nathan off as the local busybody, but all are quick to note that after 30 years on the back of a wagon, he is a considerably good shot.
Manya Vargas is his wife.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Effects of player's actionsEdit
He will ask the Lone Wanderer about their opinion of the Enclave. He will praise them if they say the Enclave is good; saying that the U.S. is a great country and "even if you were born in some underground Vault, you were born under the United States, which makes you an American." If one says something bad about the Enclave, he will dislike them. However, he will like them again if they find him in Raven Rock.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Merc adventurer outfit||N99 10mm pistol||Housekey - Nathan and Manya|
- Nathan will be oblivious to the Enclave's arrival in the wasteland (even though it is proclaimed on both radio stations) and cannot be told about it. His dialogue options remain the same.
- If he is not dead, he appears in the Enclave's Raven Rock base in one of the cells next to the Lone Wanderer's, warning "They're not who they say they are... Get out while you can, before they get you too!" One cannot make him follow them and attempting to talk to him will simply result in him repeating his warning.
- If one does not open the cell where Nathan is, they will still find him alive and well in Megaton after escaping Raven Rock.
- If killed, he may mutter 'Manya' (his wife's name) as he falls to the ground.
- On a similar note, if Nathan is killed at Raven Rock during The American Dream, or at all, the player character will no longer be able to open dialogue with Manya, instead she will simply acknowledge that he is dead, and will sometimes drift off thinking of him before he died.
- There is a typo in the subtitles which can be seen when Nathan is asked: "Why do you support the Enclave?"; Nathan's subtitles will read "Because American is the greatest country on Earth", but the grammatically correct "America" is heard in the audio.
- He can sometimes be heard humming "Yankee Doodle Dandy."
- "God bless the USA. And nowhere else."
- "Things will be different when the Enclave gets here."
- "Now there's a proud patriot. After all, if they could do us wrong, we wouldn't have elected them in the first place, right? Yessir, trust in the judgement of other people to know what's best for me. It's the American way!"
Nathaniel Vargas appears only in Fallout 3.
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Like all other Megaton characters, Nathan Vargas might go missing or turn up dead. See recovering missing NPC in Fallout 3 on how to resolve this issue. [verified]
- PC If Nathan was not freed at Raven Rock, he will be back in Megaton and sometimes he will say the lines he would while captured, such as "Get out of here while you can!". [verified]