|This page is about the non-player character. For the player character, see Sole Survivor.|
Nate is a pre-War resident of Sanctuary Hills in 2077 and one of the two possible player characters available during character creation in Fallout 4. The player can customize his appearance and, if chosen as the player character, his name and SPECIAL stats.
Nate is a former soldier and decorated war hero who served in the 2nd Battalion, 108th Infantry Regiment of the U.S. Army during the Sino-American War. At some point before the war, he married Nora and they had a son, Shaun in 2077. On the morning of October 23, 2077, Nate was preparing for an event at the Veteran's Hall in Concord when a Vault-Tec representative visited the family to inform them that they have pre-approved admittance into Vault 111.
After entering the vault, the family, along with the other admitted residents are placed in cryo-sleep by the Vault-Tec scientists, under the guise of decontamination prior to entering the main vault.
In 2227 he is disturbed from his cryogenic sleep by Conrad Kellogg and two unknown Institute scientists, whose intention was to acquire Shaun; as his DNA is the 'purest' source available to the Institute for their experiments.
If Nora was selected as the player character, he will be executed by Kellogg, while attempting to stop the scientists from kidnapping Shaun. If Nate was selected as the player character he is forced to watch as Nora is executed.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- On the Executive terminal in Fraternal Post 115 is a speech memo mentioning Nate being a decorated war hero.
- According to the holotape "Hi honey!" given by Codsworth, Nora's mother says that Nate has the patience of a saint.
- If he is chosen to be Sole Survivor, there will be some instances in-game where his time in the military is referenced.
- When nearing the USS Constitution and is approached by the lookout, the lookout will mention his time in service with 108th Infantry Regiment in its 2nd Battalion.
- If one chooses to join the Brotherhood of Steel at the end of the quest Call to Arms, upon entering Cambridge Police Station to start the quest Semper Invicta, there will be a dialogue option in which the Sole Survivor can speak with Danse about his service in the army.
- His name in the E3 demo was Mr. Howard, which is the name of the executive producer of Bethesda Softworks, Todd Howard.
- In the intro, the specific combat armor pieces he and his platoon wore were the sturdy legs, heavy arms, the standard chest piece, and a combat helmet.
- The weapon Nate used in the intro is a scoped laser rifle with a beam splitter modification.
Nate appears only in Fallout 4.