Background[edit | edit source]
Perched on the southeast banks of Nahant, this small society used to be a marine research laboratory and is now infamous for its mirelurk nests. Robots are still active and battling aquatic mutations coming up from the bay.
Layout[edit | edit source]
This location consists of two buildings, a main building for the society with reception and offices, and a separate laboratory to the south. The society building has two entrance doors, one to the front (west) and one to the rear.
Nahant Oceanological Society[edit | edit source]
The offices open up to a reception area; through the double doors are a kitchen and a research office, which contains a weapons workbench and a backdoor to the pier. There is also a staircase ascending to several more research stations. There is an Expert-locked door to the chief researcher's office, which contains a steamer trunk and Advanced-locked wall safe.
Inside the house there are two floors, with two Mr. Handies employed as oceanological instructors that may list off random facts about marine life. A door on the second floor of the house can be unlocked with Casey's key (which is found in a toolbox in the cabin of the wrecked boat just southeast of the house, along a small spit), behind which is a steamer trunk and an Advanced locked wall safe. To the rear exterior is a small shed on the decking with a Novice locked door, with some minor loot inside.
Research lab[edit | edit source]
The research lab is divided into two tiers: the catwalks and the ground floor. The catwalk tier has a chemistry station and a Master-locked steamer trunk. Stairs descend to the flooded ground where, most notably, there is a power armor station here, next to a research terminal.
The entrance door to the concrete constructed laboratory opens onto a catwalk level, which has a chemistry station, a Master locked steamer trunk, and a ramp leading to the lower level. Downstairs is a power armor station, an Expert locked safe that can be unlocked by the terminal next to it and a Novice locked first aid box. Several ammo boxes can also be found around the laboratory. A steel stairway on the west side wraps around an empty circular pool and leads up to the flat roof which offers a good sniping position of the numerous mirelurks and nests on the coastal fringe.
Beware of the larger barnacles on the external walls to the ocean side which spray a radioactive cloud if passing by too close.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- A Vault-Tec lunchbox - In the kitchen inside the house.
- Wasteland Survival Guide issue #6 - In the room with a weapons workbench inside the house, on a desk near a typewriter and a TV.
- Casey's key - Inside a toolbox, on a semi-sunken boat off the coast near Nahant Oceanological Society. The key opens the door to Casey's office in the building.
- Bottle message - X marks the spot - On a tiny sand island with picket fencing, just a few paces west of the half-sunken boat.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
- Quartermastery: Scribe Haylen has identified the location of a piece of technology she wishes to retrieve and catalog. She asks the Sole Survivor for help in bringing back the technology in one piece.
- Cleansing the Commonwealth: Knight Rhys gives the Sole Survivor an assignment to clear the location of what he calls "abominations" to further the aims of the Brotherhood of Steel.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The surrounding shore is home to a number of leveled mirelurks. In particular, going on or near the dock on the south side of the house may cause several of them to leap from hiding places.
- To reach Casey's key on the boat, it is necessary to pass by several mirelurk egg clutches, which will spawn hatchlings.
- Terminal entries here point out the research being conducted into radiation mutations and toxicity, hinted to be from bad business practices from large companies.
- A "hidden" first aid box can be found on the second floor. In the first room one enters from the stairs, face west toward a few filing cabinets. There is a heavily damaged door leading to a collapsed part of the ceiling that appears to be blocked by a downed filing cabinet. Standing on the downed filing cabinet towards the wall corner to avoid the hole in the floor, one can see the first aid kit. Opening the door allows access to the kit, despite the fact that the door's intact bottom clips through the file cabinet on the swing open and shut.
Companion comments[edit | edit source]
- When at this location, companions make comments, which are activated at two locations: the second floor of the office building and in the research laboratory.
|Curie||second floor||"Ah, too bad. The data they have is not current."|
|research laboratory||"No more fishies."|
|Deacon||second floor||"Thank god these robots are still functioning to properly educate our children about the ocean."|
|research laboratory||"And this is why we can't have nice things."|
|Nick Valentine||second floor||""|
|Piper Wright||second floor||""|
|Preston Garvey||second floor||""|
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The Nahant Oceanological Society appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Nahant Oceanological Society is based on the real world Northeastern University Marine Science Center, located at East Point. During the Cold War, the installation at East Point housed missiles intended to stop a nuclear attack on Boston.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC The two doors leading into the house, as well as the shed door, may not be able to be interacted with, making the Wasteland Survival Guide inaccessible. Saving, quitting, and restarting the game may resolve this issue.[verified]
- Playstation 4 Xbox One There may be a severe frame rate drop when looking in certain directions in the laboratory.[verified]
- Playstation 4 The Expert locked safe downstairs in the lab building can be re-locked via the adjacent computer, then unlocked an unlimited number of times for the experience points.[verified]
- Playstation 4 Xbox One The Nuka-Cola machine on the ground floor of the house may glitch, causing the bottles to be lodged behind the machine. Due to the refrigerator on the right, it may make the bottles nearly impossible to access without dragging thinner items such as forks or mops to move them closer or else use explosives.[verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p. 339: "[4.22] NAHANT OCEANOLOGICAL SOCIETY
The small Oceanological Society, perched at the end of the spit of land, is a former marine research laboratory but is now infamous for Mirelurk nests and spitting barnacles. Robots are still active and battling aquatic mutations coming up from the bay. There are two interior structures to investigate (each one has a trunk to open), as well as a tiny shack (Novice) at the edge of the tumbledown pier with some ammunition inside.
Look east out to sea to spot a beached fishing boat at the far end of the Mirelurk hatching area. Wade over and pry Casey’s key from the toolbox in the cabin."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)