|For an overview of dog tags, see dog tags.|
These military identity tags are carried by NCR soldiers. Unnamed troopers always have their tags in their inventory, but named characters do not. The tags are weightless and count as quest items, making it impossible to remove them without console commands. Furthermore, the NCR dogtags are not removed from the player character's inventory upon entering the Sierra Madre. Some dogtags became irradiated during the events of the Searchlight Sabotage.
Dog tags serve multiple purposes:
- They can be turned in with either the NCR or the Legion for an increase of fame with the corresponding faction alongside some minor rewards:
- For the NCR, they can be turned in with Quartermaster Mayes at Camp Forlorn Hope. Doing so will award a minor increase in NCR fame and two caps per tag.
- For the Legion, they can be turned in with Aurelius of Phoenix at Cottonwood Cove. Doing so will award fame with the Legion and 10 caps per tag. Passing a Barter check of 35 with Aurelius grants the opportunity to turn in dogtags to Decanus Severus for ammunition and supplies.
- They can also be used to create the dog tag fist, after the appropriate schematic has been acquired from Pvt. Halford at Camp Guardian.
- Living characters
- Virtually all NCR soldiers carry them and about 50 NCR dogtags can be stolen from unnamed NCR soldiers in Mojave Outpost, Camp McCarran, New Vegas Strip, Camp Golf and Las Vegas Boulevard Station. They can be pickpocketed with little chance of failure, as they are weightless.
- NCR soldiers carrying dogtags may be found fighting Fiends south of Camp McCarran, and near The Basincreek Building and Allied Technologies offices.
- Troops called with the NCR emergency radio carry dogtags.
- Dead characters
- collapsed overpass tunnel. Three dogtags can be found on NCR corpses inside the
- Camp Guardian caves: 11 dogtags can be found on the fallen soldiers. One more tag may be taken from Private Halford in the caves. There is no Karma or NCR reputation loss for killing him.
- Hills northwest of the California Sunset Drive-in, near the Canyon wreckage: A dogtag may be found on a dead NCR soldier in this location.
- Nipton Hotel: Four dogtags can be found on the dead NCR soldiers inside. The hotel is located to the west of the Nipton town hall. These four corpses will de-spawn if the Courier has visited the Nipton Hotel before.
- During the mission Restoring Hope three dogtags can be found on dead NCR Troopers around the supply shipment.
- Bloodborne cave: At the end of the cave near the legendary nightstalker is one dead NCR soldier with NCR armor, a helmet, and a dog tag in their inventory.
- Vault 11: After passing through the main entrance, take the first left, ahead where the hallway turns right is a corpse with a dog tag.
Behind the scenes
They are identical in appearance to their Brotherhood of Steel counterpart. However, when turned into a dog tag fist they change appearance, lacking the glowing blue holographic section and having half of the black trim removed.
- Most troopers and named soldiers at Camp Forlorn Hope are set up to receive a set of dogtags when killed, this in addition to the dogtags most already carry, meaning corpses of Forlorn Hope personnel will frequently be found with two sets of dogtags. [verified]
- Gamebryo engine. If the player attempts to kill the non-player character who has been found alive, it will result in the usual Karma/reputation penalties as with killing any other non-player character. [verified] It is sometimes possible for known corpses carrying NCR dogtags to be found alive. This is an issue with the
- Skirmishes between the Legion and NCR soldiers between Camp Forlorn Hope and Nelson may not occur, forcing the player to look elsewhere for dogtags. [verified]