Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
|Side Quest: My Kind of Town|
|Talk to Johnson Nash.|
|Head to the Kitchen area of the Bison Steve Hotel and talk to Deputy Beagle.|
|Receive information about Benny in return for helping Deputy Beagle escape.||Pass a Speech check to receive the information then free him.||Kill Deputy Beagle and take his journal.|
|Return to Johnson Nash.|
|Talk to the local NCR troopers and convince them to take control of the town.||Go to the NCRCF and convince Meyers to become the new sheriff.||Reprogram Primm Slim to serve as sheriff with a Science check or by using three fission batteries and four conductors.|
|Talk to Johnson Nash.||Talk to Deputy Beagle.|
|Reward: 330 XP|
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Starting the quest[edit | edit source]
After the Courier enters the side of Primm taken over by escaped convicts, the can go to the Vikki and Vance Casino and talk to Johnson Nash, who will tell the player character that Deputy Beagle is being held hostage and needs to be rescued, beginning the quest, or one can go directly to Deputy Beagle within the Bison Steve Hotel and proceed along one of several courses outlined below.
Rescuing Deputy Beagle[edit | edit source]
The player character must now fight and/or sneak their way to Deputy Beagle, who is tied up and being held hostage in the kitchen of the Bison Steve Hotel. Six convicts and their leader inhabit the main floor of the hotel. One or two of them will often be found near the entrance, with the others staying nearer to the large dining hall at the back. With a 25 Lockpick skill or the maintenance key from the storage room in the entrance area one can reach Beagle in the kitchen without having to travel past the large group of convicts in the dining hall.
One can now:
- With a Speech skill of 40, get Deputy Beagle to immediately reveal everything he knows about Benny and his men, and where they went. If one is unable to pass the speech check, he will provide this information with no check once upon leaving the hotel.
- Kill him. One will receive negative Karma. After Beagle is dead the player character can continue the quest by speaking with Johnson Nash in the Vikki and Vance Casino.
- Release him from captivity. One will receive +25 Experience Points.
If one agrees to release Beagle, the following may happen:
- With a Speech skill of 25, convince him to stick around as a temporary companion to help the player character clear out the rest of the hotel. Note that Beagle will stop being a companion the next time one exits the hotel, even if the player character has told him to "wait here", so if they wish to access his inventory either to obtain Deputy Beagle's journal without negative karma or to use him to carry loot, one will want to talk to him before leaving the hotel, using the "Beagle, take a weapon" dialogue option.
- Allow Beagle to sneak out of the hotel room without helping the player character. If Beagle dies on the way out one can speak with Johnson Nash to continue the quest.
After exiting the hotel one can talk to Deputy Beagle or, if Beagle has died, to Johnson Nash, in order to advance the quest. Either will ask the player character to find a new town sheriff for Primm. There are several options for whom you decide to bring to town as lawmaker:
- Sergeant McGee from the NCR.
- Meyers, a former sheriff incarcerated in the NCR Correctional Facility.
- Primm Slim, the robot greeter found in the Vikki and Vance Casino.
The NCR[edit | edit source]
The NCR is an option to take control of Primm. To request assistance from them, speak with Lieutenant Hayes in the NCR camp on the western edge of town. He will refer the player character to Major Knight of the Mojave Outpost.
The Mojave Outpost is to the southwest of Primm, along the road and up a hill. On the way to the outpost, one can take the route following the road, in which the player character will encounter two convicts walking towards the Nipton Road reststop. As the player character passes Nevada Highway Patrol station, they may be attacked by some of the Jackal raiders that have claimed the station as a base. One can also detour across country on the west side of the road, which results in encounters with a few feral ghouls and radscorpions, or on the east side, through the giant ants and bark scorpions.
With a Barter skill of 20, one can convince Major Knight to assign an additional squad to Primm, to help ensure the trade route will function normally. If he cannot be convinced, the player character can do some work for the outpost in order to convince Knight to send some reinforcements to the town.
Upon returning to Hayes, he will state that the squad is ready and the NCR is ready to accept jurisdiction over Primm, with Sergeant McGee as the new sheriff. The town will finally be safe and begin receiving more supplies from the NCR. Primm's residents will become NCR citizens and begin paying taxes and living under martial law. Nash, who will be found at his store counter, will be selling more guns, ammunition, and aid items at a 25% markup due to the NCR taxes.
Mr. New Vegas will also mention the new mayor in his news segment.
Meyers as Sheriff[edit | edit source]
The NCR Correctional Facility is to the north of Primm, on the east side of a mountain that is adjacent to the highway. The facility is controlled by the Powder Gangers, with Dawes as their gatekeeper. There are at least two ways to gain entrance:
- One can pay Dawes off with 100 caps to gain entrance.
- If the player character are on hostile terms with them, one will be forced to kill every Powder Ganger. Meyers will remain neutral and will flee from the fight. One can wear a Powder Ganger outfit to avoid a fight in the bar, but Dawes, who sits just outside, will still become hostile if approached.
- Another way to gain entrance is to sneak right beside the door, nearly behind Dawes, pickpocket the key off of him and enter when the status says hidden. The player character will not be penalized, and this is a good way to enter without paying any caps.
- One can also get inside the facility by using the prison outhouses. Walk along the fence right of the entrance until one is across from them outside the fence, then activate them and 'teleport' inside.
- If the player character helped Joe Cobb to take over Goodsprings during the quest Run Goodsprings Run, Dawes will let them go inside as a friend.
After getting into the Facility by whatever means, talk to Meyers, and tell him that Primm needs a new sheriff. He will tell the player character that he will need a pardon from the NCR in order to serve as sheriff of the town without any problems. In the mean time, he will be waiting near the town's entrance.
The pardon can be granted by Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost by doing one of the following:
- Convincing him with a Speech skill of 30.
- Bribing him for the pardon with 200 caps.
- Being in good terms with the NCR.
Upon receiving the pardon, one must speak with Meyers (Just inside of Primm) before he will begin working as Sheriff. Since the town is back to normal, Johnson Nash will resume business in his store. With the lack of NCR taxation, Nash will sell goods at 75% lower prices and buy goods for more caps.
NOTE: Killing Major Knight before telling Meyers he is pardoned results in quest failure.
Primm Slim[edit | edit source]
Speak to Johnson Nash or Deputy Beagle and ask if Primm Slim could be the sheriff. They will say that Slim can be sheriff, so long as one can reprogram him. One will then be prompted to speak to Primm Slim. There will be two options on reprogramming him:
Speaking with Deputy Beagle (if he is alive) after reprogramming Primm Slim will complete the quest and the citizens will leave the Vikki and Vance Casino. In subsequent conversations with Deputy Beagle, he conveys his dissatisfaction with having a robot sheriff.
Results[edit | edit source]
Upon appointing any of the three possible sheriffs, any remaining convicts within the Bison Steve Hotel will be killed instantly. The Courier can safely return to the hotel and loot their bodies. The other remaining convicts outside (such as the roller coaster) will still be alive.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
Saving Beagle[edit | edit source]
Letting Beagle die[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Once this quest is completed, a group of NCR deserters will appear in the Vikki and Vance Casino. Upon getting rid of them, the casino will resume its business.
- If one has not disarmed or removed the mines on the overpass bridge after placing the NCR in power of the town, Sergeant McGee, the town's new sheriff, will walk over them.
- Failing this quest will result in some NPCs stating that Primm is now part of the NCR.
- If the player character talks to Manny Vargas in Novac and gets him to tell them what he knows of Benny, with the Confirmed Bachelor perk before doing the Speech check of 40 on Deputy Beagle, one will lose the option to do the Speech check.
- Upon completion, any remaining convicts within the Bison Steve Hotel will be killed instantly. The Courier can safely return to the hotel and loot their bodies. The other convicts around the outside (such as the roller coaster) are unaffected.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
"My Kind of Town (Chicago Is)" is a popular song composed by Jimmy Van Heusen, with lyrics by Sammy Cahn. It was originally part of the musical score for Robin and the 7 Hoods, a 1964 musical film starring several members of the Rat Pack. Frank Sinatra regularly performed the song live, and included the song on four of his records.
|The following is based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
A cut speech exists with in the game's files, meant to be delivered by Meyers to a small group of inmates close to him, should you recruit him to be Primm's new Sheriff. In it, Meyers calls upon the other inmates to join him in forming a new police force in Primm, calling them "honorable and looking for redemption" despite not having "experience with law enforcement... at least not on the enforcement side."
|End of information based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Playstation 3 After completing the quest, some of the Primm townspeople, possibly including Ruby Nash, turn hostile and will attack the player character. They may be killed without incurring a Karma penalty.[verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Even though one reinstates Meyers as town sheriff, people across the Mojave (including citizens of Primm) will mention a disgust in Primm's militarization by the NCR, stating it "wimped out and accepted NCR rule, some people will do anything to feel safe."[verified]
- A similar problem can occur if one puts the town under NCR rule, but they will comment about the new sheriff instead of the NCR.
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Meyers may become hostile if one enters the prison violently, regardless of whether or not he gets attacked.[verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Powder Gangers may not attack the player character around NCRCF even if one is not wearing a gang uniform and are hostile towards them.[verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If the quest "I Fought the Law" has been completed by helping the NCR take over the facility, Meyers will be locked in a permanent "Goodbye" conversation loop, talking as if the NCR is still invading, even if they killed everyone and the quest is completed. One will be unable to advance the quest.[verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Major Knight will not have any option for filling out a form of "Pardon" for Meyers. One may only be able to discuss NCR control with Knight. A possible solution is to avoid all NCR discussion.[verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Primm Slim may not talk to the player character if they acquire Vance's 9mm submachine gun. If one intends to reprogram him to become the sheriff, it may be best to do so before acquiring the gun.[verified]
- Xbox 360 Following the quest and waiting three days, when gambling at the Vikki and Vance Casino and exchanging chips for caps, one will receive the caps and still have the same amount of chips. This can be repeated if desired.[verified]
- Playstation 3 After completing the quest, only Beagle will leave the casino, so nobody will patrol the area outside. This is a scripting error in the game itself and cannot be fixed. One will not be able to purchase anything from Johnson Nash anymore. If the player character chose Primm Slim as the new sheriff, he and Beagle will leave the casino and Johnson Nash will still be able to trade. If the player character chose the NCR or Meyers then they will receive the possibility to ask Johnson Nash how Primm is doing after the quest, trading is then impossible. After a few days the casino will have reopened even if all the Primm inhabitants are still inside. The bug appears to have been introduced in patch 1.06 and there is no known fix.[verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Occasionally one can loop asking Beagle when he is still a captive in the Bison Steve Hotel about the man in a checkered suit and gain you 40 experience each time.[verified]