Mutated ferns are a mutated variety of Polypodiopsida, vascular plants reproducing through spores and normally producing neither seeds nor flowers. Of limited importance before the Great War, ferns were used as decorative plants, medicine, food, and for cleaning up contaminated soils. Mutations induced by the nuclear fallout changed ferns with brownish/greenish leaves, which now are capable of blooming and producing purple flowers. These flowers are capable of consuming and neutralizing radiation and can be processed into radiation chems such as Rad-X and RadAway.
- Several are located on the rooftops of the Forest Grove marsh, an area infested with feral ghouls.
- Some can also be found outside the front door of the swimming pool building at The Slog, and by the General Atomics Galleria.
- An easier, closer mutated fern can be found directly south of the Vault 81 entrance, just east of the Mass Pike Tunnel west, on the north side of the freeway.
- Several are found outside the Parsons State Insane Asylum by the main gate, on the opposite side of the low border wall
- Directly east of Tenpines Bluff, just on the east side of the overpass, are a couple
Solomon the chem dealer from Diamond City will buy mutated fern flowers. The payment is a small number of caps and a random chem. Talk to him directly for the task, or listen to Shelia's holotape on the rooftop of the weapon store in Forest Grove Marsh.
Behind the scenesEdit
Ferns are real world plants of the same name. No single species of fern, alive today or extinct, has ever produced flowers, hence the 'mutation' of the mutated fern.