| ||For an overview of plasma rifle in the Fallout universe, see plasma rifle.|
Plasma rifles or plasma casters are high-tech weapons which find numerous applications in military and industrial fields. They fire superheated bolts of plasma powered by either microfusion cells, heavy energy cells or plasma cartridges. The bolt forms in a special chamber, which is then sent down a superconducting barrel, propelled by, and in some models stabilized by electromagnetic claws upon exiting it.
The plasma bolt is a toroid of superheated hydrogen gas that delivers high levels of both thermal and kinetic energy damage to the target, melting through most types of armors and causing massive 3rd-degree and 4th-degree burns.
Initially, these weapons were bulky, industrial plasma casters designed to be an industrial welding tool rather than a weapon, manufactured by Winchester Arms; while it performed admirably as a welding tool, it was expensive and required specialized training to use. However, later developments for the US Army would lead to more compact and smaller designs, such as the plasma pistol and plasma rifle, that were cheaper to produce and easier to train for, perfectly suited for urban warfare.
Regardless, all types of plasma weapons have a common feature: when a Critical Hit is delivered, they can literally melt down enemies. While most industrial casters aren't powerful enough to dissolve bones too, subsequent models have no problem converting the target into a puddle of goo.
The multiplas rifle (a portmanteau of "multiple" and "plasma") is based on the urban plasma rifle design. It is a sort of "plasma shotgun," firing three rounds of plasma in a volley, at the cost of a massive drain on the microfusion cell.
The multiplas rifle is a plasma-based weapon, bearing a similar appearance to the plasma rifle. It is most easily distinguished by its three plasma barrels at the rifle's tip, which fire three very destructive rounds of plasma. It uses one round per projectile, for a total ammunition consumption of three rounds per trigger press. Like most plasma-based weapons, the multiplas rifle causes a large green burst of plasma upon firing which partially obstructs view. In addition, the plasma bolts travel at a slow rate, resulting in the need to lead the shot.
Due to the fact that it fires three plasma bolts at once, it can score a Critical Hit for each shot outside of V.A.T.S. This attribute allows it to sometimes hit a target for a huge amount of damage per shot.
The multiplas rifle can fire a total of about 245 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 25 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Plasma rifle - The common variant found in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Van Graff plasma rifle - A special variant given by the Van Graffs.
- Q-35 matter modulator - A unique variant of the plasma rifle.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Q-35 matter modulator||40||96||2.4||x2||62||28||1.4||0.2||12||1245||7||3000||428.6||25||2|
|Van Graff plasma rifle||32||44.8||1.4||x2||32||30||1.1||0.2||24(12)||370||8||1300||162.5||0||3|
- Deathclaw promontory - found next to the dead prospectors wearing Remnants power armor and T-51b power armor.
- Central sewers - located next to a locked case with an advanced radiation suit.
- Silver Rush - there is one lying on the counter, and another that is sold by Gloria Van Graff.
- Followers safehouse - located on top of the middle bed in poor condition.
- Ruby Hill Mine - can be found on a super mutant brute located near a table under the water, often in poor condition.
- Crimson Caravan Company - can occasionally be bought from Blake.
- Miguel's Pawn Shop, Westside - can be bought from Miguel.
- East central sewers - can be found in Luke's Find at level 20 or higher.
- Zion Canyon - one can be found at Vault 22 dwellers' guard camp
- Big MT - can be found on Y-17 trauma override harnesses.
- The multiplas rifle is the plasma equivalent of the tri-beam laser rifle, as it fires three bolts of plasma per shot.
- If the bomber is allowed in during the Birds of a Feather quest, the rifle will be part of the ordinance that gets destroyed.
- If used to attack the ants in the quest Ant Misbehavin', it will cause them to explode.
- In the Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide, there is a piece of concept art for a triple-barreled mutliplas rifle. The barrels are yellow-tinted, there are extra wires running along the side and cell basket, and there is also a different grip than the one seen in the game.
|The following is based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Within the game world object files, the rifle's model is labelled as "unique". There also exists an unused "non-unique model", which suggests that the weapon was originally intended as a unique variant of a usable standard version within the game. The unused model has two barrels instead of three, which suggests it was going to fire two plasma bolts rather than three.
|End of information based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|
| || |