He is described as being the sanest of the Fiends, being mentally stable enough to control the band of drugged psychotics and organize them into a credible fighting force, and even establishing a base of operations out of Vault 3. Ranger Bryce Anders remarks that Motor-Runner has survived several previous NCR assassination attempts, which prompted Colonel Hsu to give Anders the mission of killing the Fiend leader personally. According to Hsu, Motor-Runner has a habit of decapitating dead NCR troopers. Motor-Runner regularly purchases slaves, and did business with Dermot and Saint James on at least two occasions. The first time he purchased a teen girl for 500 caps, but gave nothing for the girl's father since the man attacked him. At another point he purchased a woman from the pair for 250 caps, but gave only 25 caps each for her elderly parents, and nothing for the woman's infant son.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the - perk.|
|This character is a doctor.||
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character starts quests.||
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Aba Daba Honeymoon: Diane gives the Courier the quest to deliver some drugs to Motor-Runner.
- Bounty Killer: The Courier is ordered by James Hsu or Bryce Anders to kill Motor-Runner.
The Courier can sell him various drugs (Jet, Psycho, Buffout) for 20 caps (or 22 caps, if the player passes the Barter check) if you pass a Speech check at the entrance of Vault 3 when speaking to the Fiend at the door. 22 caps is more than the player will ever be able to receive from selling drugs valued at 20, with the exception of one instance involving Ricky.
- If you fail a speech check when talking to Motor-Runner he will appear as hostile but will not attack.
- Motor-Runner is a critical NPC for the quest Aba Daba Honeymoon, and thus it will fail immediately if he is killed. For this reason, it is best to pursue that quest first.
- If you kill him and bring back his helmet to Colonel Hsu you get an extra speech option and you will receive additional reputation with NCR.
- Motor-Runner has the unique perk Motor Runner's Buff, which grants him 20% DR in addition to the 5 DT he receives from his armor and helmet. It also grants him +10 damage on all melee attacks. This unique perk is similar to the effects of the drug slasher.
- If you kill Motor-Runner while the Fiends are hostile they will no longer attack unless provoked.
- He is one of the few named characters that are affected by the Sneering Imperialist perk.
- With the Wild Wasteland trait active, Motor-Runner refers to his dogs as "Donnie and Marie".
- "You? Take care of me? Ha! You don't look half-tough enough."
- "Sounds good to me, and to the dogs, too! Dinnertime, boys!"
- "I'm not here to talk. I'm here for business. Either do some or get the fuck out."
Motor-Runner appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
PC Xbox 360 If you have completed Still in the Dark, Motor-Runner will talk in normal fiend dialogue after the initial forced talk, including, "House is dead, wonder if Motor-Runner will let us hit the Strip now."[verified]
- There is a possible fix for this by engaging him in combat, running to the vault entrance, and then holstering your weapon. This will allow you to complete the quest.