The Monongahela River is a river in the eastern former United States.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The Monongahela River is formed at the confluence of the West Fork and Tygart Valley Rivers in West Virginia when they meet near Pleasant Valley and Fairmont. The Monongahela flows north through Morgantown and into Pennsylvania, eventually flowing west under the Pitt Bridge in the Pitt. Shortly thereafter, the river joins with the Allegheny River to form the Ohio River.
By 2103, the Monongahela River had become heavily contaminated and was one of the reasons for the Settlers moving away from the area and into Appalachia. In 2277, the river's waters near the Pitt are still highly toxic and radioactive, making safe swimming an impossible task.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The shoreline and water are much more irradiated than any body of water in the Capital Wasteland (around 350 rads/sec on the river bank and around 600 rads/sec in the water). Drinking the water yields another 450+ rads, but no health. In general, the rad level increases even more as the river stretches east and west of the Pitt Bridge, all the way up to 2,665 rads/sec.
- Mona fell into the Monongahela River, causing her skin to peel and develop lesions.
- The Monongahela in Appalachia is much less radioactive, giving off the average radiation of swimming in any open water source. However, as the Settlers imply, the water becomes much less safe the closer the river gets to Pittsburgh.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Contrary to the real-world Monongahela River, the river in Fallout 76 originates at the Grafton Dam and flows south through Morgantown instead of north, eventually splitting into two separate rivers. This change is likely due to the developers' limited space in the game world.
References[edit | edit source]
- Vault Dweller: "[Lie] The Scorched Plague. And yes, it killed him."
Paige: "*sigh* First the water in Pittsburgh, now this. God damn it. I can't just move these people again... You win. We'll hand out your inoculation whenever it's ready."
- Lone Wanderer: ""Whoa. What happened to you?""
Mona: "Go take a swim in the river. You'll find out for yourself, asshole."
- The Monongahela River in Morgantown