| ||This is an overview article which contains background information and cross-game comparisons. For game-specific information and stats, see the articles linked on the right.|
Despite the fact that they have the same name, two species can be distinguished. The mole rats found in New California are mostly covered with fur and come from moles, and those from the East Coast and the Mojave Wasteland are furless and come from naked mole rats which come mostly from governmental experiments rather than the area, as mole rats are not native to the United States.
Mole rats have sharp claws and even sharper tusks that they use to tear great chunks of flesh from their prey. Mole rats are either huge rats or the result of gene-splicing Kodiak bears with maladjusted lab rats. Fortunately, they seldom run in packs larger than a half dozen or so.
According to the Pentagon Library terminal in the Citadel, mole rats in the Capital Wasteland are the result of an American government program, codenamed Mission Cloacina, to develop an invasive lifeform that could be planted in China, where its aggression and fast breeding would help undermine the Chinese war effort. It is noted that a genetic "kill switch" was included to help the US Army clean up the rats after the theoretical fall of China. Additionally, it is revealed that the researchers attempted to use the Forced Evolutionary Virus to further augment their creations, but dismissed this course of action as FEV had a tendency to render subjects sterile (defeating the whole purpose of the rats' being invasive).
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Mammalia
- Order: Rodentia
- Family: Bathyergidae
According to the report, naked mole rats most closely resemble a Heterocephalus glaber, also known as the sand puppy or desert mole rats. Their enlargement is due to heavy radiation exposure. While larger than their ancestors, the naked mole rats have similarly low brain function, possibly due to an exceedingly tiny brain organ. Their incisors show increased enamel and dentin growth, making them razor sharp. In addition, the naked mole rats have extremely low levels of Substance P which results in incredible pain tolerance.
Hairy mole ratEdit
Hairy albino mole ratEdit
A rare variety of intelligent hairy albino mole rat only found in New California. Their origins are unknown but like albino deathclaw, it appears to be caused due to a different mutation with the FEV.
They're a bit bigger than a normal hairy mole rat, have light brown hair and red eyes. They can talk and have relatively higher intelligence than the average. The only two known specimens are Keeng Ra'at and Brain.
In between the small giant rat and the mole rat.
A mutated naked mole rat found in East Coast and the Mojave Wasteland. They have very little hair on their body and are usually found in packs of three or four, rarely appearing alone or in pairs.
Mole rat pupEdit
These are young naked mole rats and are smaller and weaker in combat. They usually stay close to their mother.
Giant mole ratEdit
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
These are giant mutations of the regular mole rats in Fallout 3, used as transport. They were cut from the game.
|End of information based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
Giant naked mole ratEdit
|The following is based on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel 2 and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Mean, standing over three feet at the shoulder and weighing in at around at 200 pounds, these critters are fierce and dangerous.
|End of information based on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel 2.|
Glowing mole ratEdit
A particular mole rat species which has been exposed to enormous quantities of radiation. The glowing mole rat produces radiation in a short perimeter around and benefits from radiation to heal or getting his defenses reinforced. One can be found in the mole rat den.
Mole rat brood motherEdit
A powerful type of mole rat that can be encountered at high levels. The mole rat brood mother is significantly more resistant than her children, but her attacks still only do minor damage to a well-armored player character.
Vault 81 lab mole ratEdit
Found within the Vault 81 testing area, those lab mole rats will transmit the mole rat disease when hitting the player character. There are several variations of Vault 81 mole rats, ranging from the standard variant to glowing variants.
Notable mole ratsEdit
- It appears that there are some that have been able domesticate mole rats, as seen in the Molerat Mambo in Fallout 2, Mole rat race track in Fallout 3 or Snuffles located at Sloan in Fallout: New Vegas. Despite this, in Fallout 3, you are unable to learn how this domestication came about from Moira Brown.
- It is shown in the Fallout 3 quest Wasteland Survival Guide that naked mole rats are highly allergic to certain chemicals that are used in a repellent, so much so it makes their heads explode when hit with this repellent stick.
- Mole rat skins have also been used as decoration. These can be found in several homes and shelters in both the Capital wastelands. Oddly, blood will splatter when these rugs are shot.
- Occasionally one may encounter a mole rat with mines attached to it, for example just to the east of USAF Satellite Station Olivia. These mole rats, which emit ticking time-bomb noises, will explode for substantial damage if they reach point-blank range.
- Naked mole rats are a real species of rodent native to East Africa. They share the same general appearance as the mole rats featured in the Fallout series.