Mitchell was born in Vault 21, where he was known by the nickname "Mole Butt" by the younger residents. Like a majority of its inhabitants, Mitchell was evicted from the vault by Robert House after the latter won a game of blackjack against the dwellers. After this, he wandered the Mojave as a traveling doctor, but eventually returned to New Vegas and married his childhood sweetheart. They then began traveling together and were headed to California.
However, his wife died close to Goodsprings at some point due to the weak immune system she had from living in a vault her whole life. Unable to continue without his wife, he settled down and retired there so he could always remain close to her, but also secured the position as the town's doctor.
When the Courier was ambushed and shot in the head by Benny, Victor brought them to Mitchell for treatment. On October 19, they made a miraculous recovery thanks to the medical care provided by the doctor.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: various medical supplies|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Ain't That a Kick in the Head: Doc Mitchell is ultimately responsible for saving the Courier's life after Benny leaves them for dead. Awakening from the coma, Doc Mitchell runs numerous procedures and tests to make sure the Courier is 'alright.' This serves as a milieu for character building, as well.
- Ghost Town Gunfight: Mitchell provides the defending residents with stimpaks and/or 2 doctor's bags to help defend against the Powder Gangers.
- Run Goodsprings Run: The player can persuade Mitchell to give them stimpaks to help the Powder Gangers with Medicine 25.
- Mitchell revives the player character after being found by Victor and sets the character's stats for the game with the help of the Vit-o-matic Vigor Tester. He then gives the Courier a set of weapons (depending on tagged skills), a Vault 21 jumpsuit (either his own or his late wife's, depending on gender), and his old Pip-Boy 3000. Having either of the pre-order packs, or the Courier's Stash installed, the items will be added when the game begins, though cannot be accessed until receiving the Pip-Boy 3000.
- Prior to leaving the house for the first time, the Courier can also gain an additional eight stimpaks if the Medicine skill is initially lower than 30 by passing a Speech check (30). An additional Medicine check (30) can be completed after using the Today's Physician on one of his tables, followed by another Speech check (30), again this must be done before leaving the house the first time. All three skill checks reward 30 XP for a total of 90 XP. Similarly, with attribute builds that start both Speech and Medicine above 30 (e.g. Int 10, Chr 10, Luck 7), Medicine can be temporarily lowered by drinking alcohol (e.g. from Mitchell's refrigerator) to temporarily lower it below 30 and enable passing all three checks.
- During the word association part of the psych evaluation, if the player picks any of the following; kick, demolish, crush, heavy and human shield, Doc Mitchell will mention how disturbing their answers are.
- If in the word test "campfire" is picked as an answer, the next word will be "enemy" instead of "bandit".
Mitchell's dialogue is influenced by the Courier's choice of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes.
|Strength||Low||"That's some serious atrophy, even for someone who's been in bed awhile. It's a wonder you can move at all."|
|High||"Surprised anybody'd want to tangle with you. Heck, you could go deathclaw hunting with a switch."|
|Perception||Low||"Now I ain't no optometrist, but maybe we should fit you for some glasses while you're here."|
|High||"Nothing gets by you, huh? Coulda used you when I lost my keys last month."|
|Endurance||Low||"I just don't get it. A stiff breeze'd tear you in two but a couple of bullets and you're right as rain."|
|High||"I guess that explains how you're still alive. You're built solid as an oak."|
|Charisma||Low||"Huh. Must be some frontal lobe damage."|
|High||"Good to see them bullets didn't affect your charm none."|
|Intelligence||Low||"Sorry, son/little lady. I fixed up your head as best I knew how. I guess I missed a spot."|
|High||"Look at that. Maybe them bullets done your brain some good."|
|Agility||Low||"Don't have all your coordination back yet, looks like. You should think about doing some rehab."|
|High||"Most patients don't get out of bed after being shot and then move like they was in perfect control. You're unusual, I'll say that."|
|Luck||Low||"Now that don't make a lick of sense. Seems to me you're the luckiest son-of-a-gun in New Vegas."|
|High||"With Luck like yours I'm surprised them bullets didn't just turn right around and climb back into the gun."|
|All||None||"Yep, that's a pretty standard score there. But after what you been through, I'd say that's great news."|
He will only comment on one attribute, and only the one at the largest extreme. For example, if the highest attribute is Strength at 8 and the lowest is Charisma at 1, he will comment on lacking Charisma. With several attributes at extreme, he will still only comment on one of them. For example, with Strength and Intelligence at 10, he will comment on the latter.
* Only during Run Goodsprings Run.
- None of the items in his home are flagged as being owned, nor will he care about having something taken from in front of him.
- One of his inkblots bears a remarkable resemblance of two bears high-fiving. A mod was made that changed one of the answers to "Two bears high-fiving". The mod was then homaged in Honest Hearts with the Two-Bears-High-Fiving Wild Wasteland occurrence.
- "Why don't you relax a second? Get your bearings. Let's see what the damage is."
- "But try not to get killed anymore."
- "Well, that's all she wrote."
- "Seems like wherever I go it's always the same. Folks just never leave each other alone."
- "Welcome back. I had hoped you wouldn't need to come see me again so soon. What can I do for ya?"
- "How are you holding up?"
PC Doc Mitchell will not fix radiation poisoning if you select any other fix after that choice until you exit out of dialogue with him. [verified]
- ↑ The Courier: "You know Doc Mitchell?"
Sarah Weintraub: " I hadn't thought about that name in a long time. I was just a child, and he had a big mole in his rear bumper. You understand, kids and all that. Everyone knows about each other in a Vault, there's no other way. I hope mol... I mean Mitch, is doing well!"
(Sarah Weintraub's dialogue)
- ↑ The Courier: "I saw your old vault on the Strip. Vault 21, right? Mr. House filled it with concrete?"
Mitchell: " We didn't get a say. Don't know how you'd argue with a fella like that anyways, everywhere and nowhere all at once. So just like that, we was all homeless. Went our separate ways, and that was all she wrote."
(Mitchell's dialogue (Goodsprings))
- ↑ J.E. Saywer on Formspring
- ↑ The Courier: "Tell me about yourself, Doc."
Mitchell: "Well, I already told you I came from a vault. After that, was a traveling doctor for a spell. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Most folks out here ain't educated, so people with medical knowhow are hard to come by. Found that I could help a lot of people with what I knew, and that was all right with me. Eventually, I went back and married my childhood sweetheart and that was the end of my traveling days. Didn't miss it none then. Still don't."
(Mitchell's dialogue (Goodsprings))
- ↑ The Courier: "Is that when you settled out here with your wife?"
Mitchell: "Eventually we made our way out here. But uh... Well, when folks spend their lives in isolation, sometimes that ain't the best of things for learning to fight off germs. We was going to California, but Goodsprings was as far as we got. After she passed, wasn't no reason to keep going. I stayed so I could keep close to her."
(Mitchell's dialogue (Goodsprings))
- ↑ NVDLC03DoctorMobius.txt: The bullet that went into my brain? Doc Mitchell tried to patch me up, but...