|For a cross-game overview, see mirelurk.|
While usually being associated with mutated crabs, the term mirelurk refers to a range of mutated aquatic species.
The crab-like mirelurk is considered both fearsome and formidable by wastelanders. Mirelurks are generally social with others of their kind, although they tend to be aggressive to other creatures and one another if one gets too close to another.
Most adult mirelurks appear to have a hardened carapace on their backs, which is suggested to be their primary defense mechanism. While their eyesight appears to be poor, mirelurks have an extraordinary sense of smell. After using their crab/spider-like legs and large claws to reach and catch prey, they use a smaller set of abdomen claws to strip their prey down to the bone within minutes. Most mirelurks grow remarkably fast, and the shelled-variant has been observed to reach maturity within weeks.
The mirelurk crab attacks exclusively with melee. They will get close, usually in a group of three or more and attempt to hit the player character with their large claws. They will duck into their hard shell as a way to block incoming melee damage. They do this often and it can become an issue if the player character is being attacked from multiple sides, as when they turn to attack a different foe, the crouched mirelurk will leap up and attack almost instantly. They are vulnerable to explosives and headshots.
|Name (Form ID)||Abilities||Items|
|Scorched mirelurk crab|
- Five softshell mirelurks can be found at New River Gorge Resort.
- About six softshell mirelurk on the stream west of Summersville.
- Mirelurks can be found in Grafton Lake and around Pioneer Scout camp, especially during the Swarm of Suitors event.
- Mirelurks are potential candidates for taming. If found alone in a random encounter, the player character can send the tamed creature to their C.A.M.P. for defense.
|The following is based on Fallout 76 unused content.|
- There are cut textures for a cranberry variant of the mirelurk crab.
|End of information based on Fallout 76 unused content.|
Mirelurks appear in Fallout 76.
[verification overdue]Some softshell mirelurks may count towards the "Kill glowing creatures" challenge, even if they are not glowing, while others may not.
- Mirelurk research: "The Mirelurk appears to be a fearsome and formidable creature. They are generally social with other mirelurks however they tend to be aggressive to other creatures and one another if one gets too close to another."
- Mirelurk research: "Their eye sight appears to be good, but they have an extraordinary sense of smell... their large set of claws appear to be used primarily for hunting. Once their prey been captured the smaller set of claws on their abdomen is used to strip their prey down to the bone in a matter of minutes... the large hardened carapace on their back appears to be their primary defense mechanism... they grow remarkably fast, it only appears to take them a few weeks to reach maturity."