|For an overview of minigun models, see minigun.|
The Rockwell CZ53 personal minigun, otherwise known as the 5mm Man-Portable Minigun, is capable of firing 5mm ammunition at over 60,000 RPM with an ammo capacity of 120 5mm rounds. The CZ53 personal minigun makes up for the small 5mm round by sending a hail of bullets toward its target. Its sheer size, coupled with its trademark sound, is enough to send anyone in its path running for cover. It's a great weapon for suppressing fire, letting others flank the unsuspecting enemy. When the Great War struck, it was already an aging design and was slowly being replaced by the more advanced CZ57 Avenger minigun. Later models of the CZ53 have six barrels linked into pairs, with four barrels on top and two on the bottom, a cage underneath the weapon to hold an ammo box containing 240 5mm rounds, and used in combination with a backpack. The first model was the favorite weapon of the super mutants during the Unity's time and allowed most or all of the super mutants to wield them effectively with only one arm.
The minigun delivers an extremely high rate of fire, making it an effective weapon and is ideal for inflicting heavy damage on large quantities of relatively unarmored enemies. With the use of armor piercing ammunition, the minigun is extremely deadly, being able to cut through even the toughest target very fast, the downside is that it uses up the 5mm ammunition rather quickly.
Due to its poor spread, the high rate of fire effectiveness is somewhat negated at medium to long-distance combat. Additionally, this rate of fire can quickly exhaust ammunition supplies, as well as reducing the weapon's condition at an alarming rate during sustained fire. Using one requires a healthy stock of weapon repair kits, or a supply of other miniguns to keep the weapon in good working condition. This weapon has a Strength requirement of 10, the highest in the game, weighing in at 25 lbs.
The unique minigun, the CZ57 Avenger, weighs only 18 pounds, but cannot be modified. The Avenger has one of the highest DPS ratings of any gun in the game if the skill requirements are met.
When firing the minigun outside of V.A.T.S., there is a small wind-up time, as the barrels spin up to firing speed, between holding the fire button and when it actually begins to fire.
The minigun can fire a total of about 5995 standard rounds, the equivalent of 25 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Standard, HP, & AP||5995||25|
- Minigun high-speed motor - Increases firing rate by 25%.
- Minigun damped subframe - Reduces weapon's spread by 0.35.
- CZ57 Avenger: A more powerful version of the regular minigun with one of the highest DPS values of any weapon in the game.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Sometimes super mutant masters can be found carrying them.
- Black Mountain - In an Average locked trunk by the radio in the camp near the top of the mountain.
- Black Rock cave - Occasionally carried by the nightkin master.
- Brotherhood of Steel safehouse - One in a low condition, on a shelf with a missile launcher and 200 rounds of 5mm surplus ammunition.
- Can sometimes be found on NCR heavy troopers.
- Gun Runners - It can be purchased from Vendortron at level 16.
- Hidden Valley - It can be purchased from Knight Torres in the Brotherhood of Steel Hidden Valley bunker.
- Jack Rabbit Springs - A super mutant master may be found carrying one at later levels.
- Novac - It can be obtained in very poor or broken condition, by killing a nightkin during The Screams of Brahmin quest.
- Vault 34 - Can be found in the armory.
- Dry Wells - Gaius Magnus carries one.
- A full box of ammunition (240 rounds) weighs 4.08 pounds, or 2.04 pounds if the Pack Rat perk is taken (in Hardcore mode).
- The repair list name for this weapon is called RepairMinigunForRealzImSeriousGuys, which includes the standard minigun, as well as the CZ57 Avenger.
- player character regardless of unequipping or switching to a different weapon/armor. It may also flicker or may not disappear and duplicate itself multiple times, appearing to hover and follow the player character around. To fix this as well as many other glitches for the minigun, drop the minigun then equip another weapon and drop the second weapon before picking both weapons up. [verified] The ammunition backpack may become stuck to the back of the
- The weapon firing sound usually doesn't play out with the animation. For every 2-3 bursts fired, you will hear the firing sound only once or twice. [verified]
- It's possible that the barrel spinning animation will not play out while in the first person, this usually follows some other glitch. [verified]
- Sometimes the rotor sound does not play. The sound played is not the rotor sound, but the firing sound, even though no bullets have been fired. [verified]
- Sometimes firing does not make any sound. Although it still registers to NPCs as sound. [verified]
- There is a very rare bug that causes the fully modified minigun to become holstered at ALL times. It will be stuck to the Courier's hand even if holstered. It may even float upside down a small distance away from your hand at times. Unknown if the bug happens to the normal unmodified minigun.[verified]