|For an overview of mini nuke ammunition types, see mini nuke.|
Mini nukes are much less common in Fallout: New Vegas than in Fallout 3: there are only 14 in the base game (12 with the Wild Wasteland trait). They weigh 3 pounds each in Hardcore mode and are shaped like the WWII atomic bomb, the "Fat Man." Their explosion is powerful, causing a characteristic mushroom cloud and leaving residual radioactivity, initially 40 rads/second, but which quickly drops to low levels that linger for quite a while.
The Lonesome Road add-on introduces the possibility of mini nukes randomly spawning in duffle bags and other containers. Due to their rarity and effectiveness, mini nukes are the most valuable ammunition type in-game.
Weapons using this ammunition
- Mini nuke, low yield - This variant has less explosive power and a smaller kill radius than a standard mini nuke, but with the trade-off of increased range and cheaper price.
- Mini nuke, Big Kid - This variant is significantly more powerful than a standard mini nuke and produces more residual radiation. The increased damage comes at the cost of reduced range, which can cause serious harm to an unprotected individual.
- experimental MIRV shot. While descending, they make a noise similar to incoming Boomer artillery. Mini nuke, Tiny Tots - This type can be used for cluster bombing, with each tiny tots round releasing 9 miniature mini nukes, similar to an
- Mini nuke, timed - This type has a 5-second fuse and will not detonate on impact. The time-only fuse allows the round to ricochet off objects or be bounced around corners. The nuke itself can also cause damage if it strikes a target, in addition to the following explosion.
|- Ammunition Type||Weapons spread modifier|
|- Weapon Damage modifier||Ammo bonus effect|
|- Target Damage Threshold modifier||- Ammo is craftable|
|- Weapon condition modifier||- Percentage change of empty casing, hull or drained cell/pack/tank|
|mini nuke, standard||x 1||x 1||x 1||x 1||10for 12s||0% chance|
|mini nuke, low yield||0.67||x 1||x 1||x 1||+6 for 12s|
x 0.88 AoE radius
Gravity has 20% less influence
|mini nuke, timed||x 1||x 1||x 1||x 1||+10 for 12s|
5 second fuse
no detonation on contact
|mini nuke, Big Kid||x 1.33||x 1||x 1||x 1||+30 for 12s|
x 1.29 AoE radius
-700 projectile speed
|mini nuke, Tiny Tots||x 1.88 (total)||x 1||x 1||x 20||+25 for 12s|
Gravity has 60% less influence
-1250 projectile speed
|Closest map marker||Amount||Description|
|Quarry Junction||2||One within the deathclaw mother's cave. One in the middle of the southernmost irradiated pond.|
|Hidden Valley north bunker||2||Inside the northernmost bunker, behind an Average locked door in the right corner, on the ground.|
|Hidden Valley south bunker||1||Inside the southernmost bunker, behind the hard locked door in the right corner, under a tin plate.|
|Camp Searchlight, Searchlight church basement||2||Without Wild Wasteland trait two can be found; with Wild Wasteland 3 Holy Frag Grenades are found instead.|
|Vault 11 security room||1||Sitting on a desk in the Hard locked security room.|
|Nellis array||2||On the metal shelves in the lower level to the right of the generators along with several cases of 5mm rounds.|
|Nellis Air Force Base||3||Each can be pickpocketed or looted from a Boomer carrying a Fat Man in the eastern portion of Nellis, usually near the cornfield (repeatable). High Sneak skill is required, or a Stealth Boy. Boomers killed for their mini nukes will respawn.|
|Nellis Air Force Base, mess hall & munitions storage||1||In a wooden crate, atop of a shelf in the Boomers' munition store.|
- Variants of the ammo added by Gun Runners' Arsenal may be purchased from Vendortron, Boomer munitions manager or traveling merchants.
- Standard mini nukes may be occasionally offered by commissaries in the Divide, as well as in the Courier's Mile on containers within the central building.
- The GRA mini nukes can only be used with the GRA Fat Man or Esther.
- Mini nukes are the main component of a fat mine.
- The explosion animation for mini nukes is the same one seen when blowing up a car.
If fired straight up, the Tiny Tots sound effects may play on repeat, endlessly.[verified]