- Interact with one of the Garrahan excavator posters, which can be found in various locations around Appalachia.
- Access the reception terminal inside the Garrahan Mining Headquarters and access the entry "Memo: Excavator Queries"
- Access the project manager's terminal within R&D and access the entry "Excavator Module Blueprints"
- Use a power armor station to craft the excavator power armor parts (level 25 required).
- Equip the power armor and use the computer terminal at Garrahan Mining headquarters to register it.
This quest begins upon investigating one of the many Garrahan excavator posters in Appalachia, usually, the one located in the parking lot of Garrahan Mining Headquarters upon getting close enough to trigger the marker for the miscellaneous objective for it.
Travel to the Garrahan Mining Headquarters and enter the building. Access the computer at the receptionist's desk and read the entry "Memo: Excavator Queries" to trigger the quest. From there, head downstairs to the Research & Development (R&D) room to access the project manager's terminal, but be aware of the hostile robots inside the building. They include Protectron, Mister Gutsy and Robobrain variants.
Once in the R&D Room, accessing the project manager's terminal and select the option "Excavator Module Blueprints" to download the plans for crafting Excavator power armor. Then use a power armor station to craft the armor parts onto the power armor chassis. Note that the minimum level for crafting and equipping the power armor is 25.
A level 25 suit of Excavator power armor will require a power armor chassis and a total of 36 black titanium, 30 gears, 12 glass, 6 nuclear material, 36 oil, 26 rubber, 60 screws, 20 springs, and 102 steel to craft. If materials are hard to come by via scraping various junk, try claiming a public workshop that has mineral deposits needed for crafting the parts.
Once the armor has been crafted onto the chassis, equip the chassis and use the terminal in the R&D Room of the Garrahan Mining Headquarters to have the armor scanned and registered to complete the quest.
- The player character receives the excavator power armor schematics during this quest.
- The player character must be at least level 25 in order to complete the quest since they must be that level to build the power armor.
- The excavator power armor pieces can be constructed at any power armor station, once you have read Harold Frost's terminal, not just the stations located in the Garrahan Mining HQ.
- It is possible to complete this quest by equipping and registering excavator power armor that was crafted by another player and given to you. If this method is done, be sure to access the R&D computer entry "Excavator Module Blueprints" before registering the power armor or it will be impossible to ever gain access to the plans later.