The area has been charred by the bombs from the Great War and the pools of water are quite irradiated, thus the Mesquite Mountains crater is a natural attraction to ghouls. At any given time, there are several feral ghouls, feral ghoul roamers, or feral ghoul reavers roaming the area. The motel itself has two feral ghoul reavers outside which are not level-dependent. A bit to the east, there is an improvised shelter with a bed and a first aid box.
The motel is a two-story shack containing the late Doctor Rotson's lab, a kitchen on the first floor, and his sleeping quarters on the second.
Despite the widespread radiation outside near the irradiated lake and on the Motel's porch, Hell's Motel is radiation-free inside. Upon entering, the body of Dr. Rotson will be found lying in a pool of blood, along with a crazed Mister Handy. It appears as though Rotson was making moonshine. If one looks in the kitchen, the device in the rear right corner appears to be a still, with a moonshine bottle laying around.
- One Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap on the table in the kitchen to the right when entering.
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine on the small shelf to the right upon entering Hell's Motel. It is next to the radio and the globe.
- One irradiated water on Dr. Rotson's body.
- One irr. crunchy mutfruit inside Hell's Motel.
- One irradiated whiskey beside Dr. Rotson's corpse.
- One irradiated scotch against the west wall.
- The refrigerator located inside Hell's Motel contains up to 5 random irradiated food items, many of which cannot be found outside Camp Searchlight.
- The oven cannot be looted, as it is a world model only, not a container.
- The crazed Mr. Handy can remain as a decoration by disabling it with Robotics Expert.
The Mesquite Mountains crater appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
Mesquite Mountains crater appears in the same geographic location as real world location Colosseum Mine in Clark County, Nevada and simultaneously strikes a resemblance to Ubehebe Crater in Inyo County, California.