As this skill increases, so does the damage inflicted with all of these weapons, both in and out of V.A.T.S. mode. The Melee Weapons skill also allows using a melee weapon to block an attack; the higher the skill, the more damage is absorbed.
Note that a fast weapon like a combat knife or Ripper can make more attacks in a given length of time than a heavy sledgehammer, potentially generating more damage in a shorter amount of time. More attacks also mean more chances to stagger an opponent when their torso is crippled. However, as one begins to fight enemies with strong armor, weapons that deal more damage per hit tend to be more effective. The Shishkebab is generally considered the best melee weapon available, as it is swung as fast as knives and lead pipes, and it deals only just slightly less damage than a super sledge per hit. Along with both these fast and powerful traits, its damage can further be increased with the Pyromaniac perk. The unique ripper Jack can, depending on critical rate, Luck, and selection of perks, allow to deal an astounding amount of damage far superior to that of the Shishkebab in a damage-per-second sense. Jack is especially effective when performing a Sneak Attack Critical hit.
Ways to increase Melee Weapons
- Leveling up (10+INT, +3 with Educated perk)
- Bobblehead - Melee Weapons (+10)
- Grognak the Barbarian (+1 or +2 with Comprehension)
- Little Leaguer (+5 with each rank)
- Tag! (+15)
- Note: Only items adding +5 or more are included.
- Buffout & alcohol (+2-6 depending on Strength, a perfect Strength of 10 will see no benefit)
- Vault 77 jumpsuit (+5)
- Tunnel Snake outfit (+5)
- Takoma Park Little Leaguer cap (+5)
- Kid's baseball cap (+5)
- Tribal power armor (+5)
- Pint-Sized Slasher mask (+5)
- Samurai armor (+10)
Perks that require Melee Weapons skill
Notable Melee Weapons skilled characters
- Fawkes, an intelligent Vault 87 super mutant and possible companion of the Lone Wanderer.
- Jackson, founder and leader of the tribals in Point Lookout.
- Jingwei, Chinese Army general who commanded the Chinese troops during the Invasion of Alaska.
- Toshiro Kago, an old samurai of the Azuchi-Momoyama period.
- Vance, leader of the Family.