As this skill increases, so does the damage inflicted with all of these weapons, both in and out of V.A.T.S. mode.
When the player character has 50 Melee skill points, they have access to special melee moves which consume a certain amount of AP for a variety of effects in V.A.T.S.
- Most one-handed edged weapons (such as combat knives) have the Back Slash special attack.
- Most one-handed blunt weapons (such as the lead pipe) have the Lights Out special attack.
- Most two-handed melee weapons (such as the sledgehammer) have the Mauler special attack.
- Staff-like weapons (such as baseball bats) have the Grand Slam special attack.
- There are a variety of other attacks, some unique. Only thrown melee weapons and the broad machete have no special attack.
V.A.T.S. vs. real-time
It is possible to execute all special melee moves outside of V.A.T.S., although the animation can look different in first-person view than in third-person view. It is not required to have 50 points of the skill to perform the moves. To perform any special move described above, initiate a power attack (hold attack button) while moving forward. However, executed outside of V.A.T.S. they don't have any special properties but have a benefit of a standard power attack: doubling weapon base damage.
Unlike in Fallout 3, a potentially significant amount of damage can be taken in V.A.T.S., heightening the danger of meleeing in it, as one cannot dodge or block while in V.A.T.S. However, all melee weapons, except thrown, do twice as much base damage.
Ways to increase Melee Weapons
- Leveling up (up to +15 or +17 with Educated)
- Grognak the Barbarian (+3 or 4 with Comprehension)
- Tag! (+15)
- Skilled (+5)
- Note: Only items adding +5 or more are included.
Perks that require Melee Weapons skill
|Super Slam!||45||8||Strength 6|
|Unstoppable Force||90||12||Strength 7|
Notable Melee Weapons skilled characters
- Aurelius of Phoenix, a centurion of the Caesar's Legion and commander of Cottonwood Cove.
- Davison, leader of Davison's nightkin.
- Joshua Graham, co-founder of Caesar's Legion and ex-legate.
- Legate Lanius, legate of Caesar's Legion.
- Lily Bowen, 203-year old nightkin and a possible companion of the Courier.
- Neil, spy sent by Marcus to watch Black Mountain.
- Tabitha, leader of the State of Utobitha.
- Vulpes Inculta, frumentarii leader of Caesar's Legion.
- Cato Hostilius, a frumentarius in Caesar's Legion stationed around Hoover Dam.
- Liza O'Malley, the receptionist at the NCR Embassy.
- Orion Moreno, a retired Enclave soldier living in the outskirts of New Vegas.