Before the Great War, Isaac Garrahan owned several sloths at his family's estate. They are recorded to have escaped the enclosure on at least two occasions, and the lack of sloth remains in the cages at the Garrahan Estate implies they escaped again following the War.
The mega sloths are three-toed sloths mutated by radiation. Standing much taller than the average human, its body is covered with filthy and shaggy fur with clusters of mushrooms growing in the fur on its back, similar to fungus grew in the fur of pre-War sloths. They have heavily calloused patches of skin and sharp teeth. Mega sloths are much larger than pre-War variants. Similar to those that lived before the war, mega sloths found in Appalachia have mold and mushrooms growing in their fur. These megasloth mushrooms release clouds of spores when the sloth shakes it's body, deterring aggressors that get too close.
Unlike most creatures, mega sloths may not be immediately hostile; they will ignore anything that is not attacking them. Mega sloths can be found throughout the Mire and Cranberry Bog. Some can be found dangling from large trees, similar to gulpers. In close proximity, they can use their claws to scratch, dealing heavy damage From afar, the may hurl rocks or shake to release a cloud of fungal spores from the mushrooms growing on their back, which clouds one's vision.
|Name (Form ID)||Abilities||Items|
|Sluggish mega sloth|
|Lumbering mega sloth|
|Hulking mega sloth|
|Glowing mega sloth |
|Scorched mega sloth|
|Baby mega sloth |
|Lazy mega sloth |
|Prime mega sloth |
Primal Cuts (Toxic Valley)
- One to three can reliably be found southeast of the Southern Belle Motel, dangling in the trees.
- One can be reliably found south of Fissure site Omicron.
- One can appear at Tanagra Town.
- One can appear at Treetops.
- One can appear at an unmarked location north of the monorail elevator.
- One can appear east of Watoga Shopping Plaza, across the river.
- One can appear between KMAX Transmission and Camp Venture.
- A Scorched variant can appear at the Creekside sundew grove, usually fighting super mutants.
- One appears as the final parade attacker during Fasnacht Day.
- One can be encountered randomly at the information building between the investigator's cabin and Ripper Alley.
Mega sloths are mentioned by name in the Pioneer Scout exam collector.
Mega sloths appear only in Fallout 76.
Behind the scenes
The mega sloth may be a reference to prehistoric giant ground sloths, some varieties of which could be the size of elephants. The first fossil evidence of these creatures was discovered in a cave in Greenbrier County, West Virgina.
When a mega sloth dies, it may freeze in place and not play its death animation. Its corpse can be clipped through, and looting it will be impossible. [verified]
- One way to fix this is by fast traveling back and forth to the location of the sloth.