|This is an overview article, listing content appearing across multiple games.|
Med-X is the brand name of morphine, a potent opiate analgesic that binds to opioid receptors in the brain and central nervous system, reducing the perception of pain as well as the emotional response to pain. The active ingredient acts as a general anesthetic that dulls pain throughout the body and typically causes listlessness and lethargy. In layman's terms, it's a powerful pain killer delivered via a hypodermic needle.
Given its usefulness, Med-X is one of the more widespread pre-War chems, providing pain relief and recreation across the continent. Morphinists can be identified by contracted pupils and involuntary spasms.
Med-X is a potent pain killer that can often be found in first aid boxes or abandoned medical facilities. This chem will increase damage resistance by 25%, but it also carries a 10% addiction rate, and withdrawal results in a -1 penalty to Agility and Intelligence.
Behind the scenes
Med-X was originally to be named morphine in Fallout 3, but this resulted in the Australian Classification Board refusing its classification and thereby making it illegal to distribute the game in Australia. The game was later censored to remove all real-world drug references including changing morphine to Med-X in order for the game to be allowed in Australia. This censorship was to become part of the worldwide release.
- Villa clinic terminal entries; Terminal, Appointment Calendar - Vera Keyes was a Med-X addict and constantly abused Med-X as shown in the terminal and entry and eventually committed suicide by overdose.
- Fallout 4 loading screens: "Med-X is a powerful pain killer that effectively increases Damage Resistance for a limited period of time."
- The Courier: "Contracted pupils, involuntary spasms... Med-X kills quickly, Joana. I can help."
Joana: "[SUCCEEDED] I... I didn't think it showed. I... look, we can't talk here. If you think you can help me, follow me to my room, please."
- The Courier: "Five doses."
Boxcars: " . A fella could put himself out of his misery with five doses."
- Boxcars: " First I get my legs smashed, and then in walks the Powder Gangers' grim fucking reaper? What the fuck have you got against us, / ? Jesus fucking Christ, if you want me dead just gimme 15 Med-X and I'll fucking O.D. for ya, okay? Fuck!"
- OFLC Report: Why Fallout 3 Was Banned In Australia. Kotaku.
- Fallout 3 ban lifted in Australia. The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Fallout 3 Censorship Goes Global. Shacknews.