A career soldier, McCredie volunteered to join the NCR Army at 16. He has stayed in ever since, saying simply, "Man, it's my life," when asked by the Courier. McCredie's professional competence and enthusiasm for a soldier's life make him a skilled and capable non-commissioned officer, but he has not risen as high as it would seem he should have after so many years of service. The Courier can remark on this, prompting McCredie to respond that leadership positions get increasingly bureaucratic as one moves up, and that he did not "join the Army to drive a desk."
McCredie has been stationed at Camp Golf for some time as of 2281, being that it is part of the the front line between the NCR and the Legion. One of the teams he is in charge of is nicknamed the "Misfits," a group of foul-up soldiers who have bottomed out in their Army careers. McCredie has grown greatly frustrated after so many failed attempts at getting them to straighten up, and will welcome the Courier's offer of assistance if it is made. McCredie remains convinced the Misfits can be made into proper soldiers, even if he cannot imagine how.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Flags of Our Foul-Ups: McCredie is the misfits' CO and as such he wants them to become an effective unit, but he needs some external help.
- No, Not Much: As part of the quest, the misfits have to be trained better so aid can be sent to Bitter Springs. Following Flags of Our Foul-Ups, McCredie is comfortable with the misfits enough that aid can be sent to Bitter Springs.
Sgt. McCredie appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The Courier: "How do you like serving in the Army?"
McCredie: "Man, it's my life. I joined up when I was 16 - I don't know how to do anything else."
- The Courier: "You joined at 16 and you're still a sergeant?"
McCredie: "Yeah, well... I didn't want to get promoted out of the field. I didn't join up to drive a desk."
- The Courier: "Sounds like you're a little disappointed in your troops."
McCredie: "Disappointed? We call 'em the Misfits for a reason. They're undisciplined, lazy, and they have absolutely no espirit de corps. The squad leader's got some promise, kid named Mags, but as for the rest... . I'm going to make them shape up if it kills me, though. Or them, for that matter."