|For other characters named Max, see Max.|
Freeside is home to many of New Vegas's poorer residents and NCR refugees. Stacey and Max are orphaned street urchins who live in the ruins of the destroyed building immediately inside Freeside's east gate next to Mick & Ralph's. If not found roaming the streets they may be asleep on two worn mattresses on the second floor of their home.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: Euclid's C-Finder|
Max will sell Euclid's C-Finder upon request for 1000 caps, but by passing a Barter check of 45, will sell it for only 20 caps, and by passing a Speech check of 60 will give it to the player for free.
I Could Make You Care - If one chooses to complete the quest by obtaining Euclid's C-Finder, it will need to be acquired from Max.
- Max will say "Reach for the sky, lady/mister," if approached by the player.
- When attempting to pickpocket Max the selection will say Talk instead of Pickpocket, yet when pressed he may be pickpocketed.
- Sometimes, he will run out of Freeside's east gate while following Stacey.
- Sometimes, he may disappear entirely, Stacey will be "fleeing" on top of the building next to Mick & Ralph's. The cause is unknown; however, this happens more often if the Courier has bad Karma.
- If prompted into dialogue mode after Euclid's C-Finder is taken, he will say "I wish I had a gun."
- Sometimes he will not have the Euclid's C-Finder equipped when chasing Stacey, but the gun can be found in his inventory.
- Acquiring the weapon from Max while having Veronica as a companion will cause her to remark "Wow... Good thing the safety was on."
- Max is found sleeping on the roof of the building next to Mick & Ralph's after it gets dark.
- Like Stacey, Max will never become hostile.
- "Reach for the sky, lady."
- "Reach for the sky, mister"
- "Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!"
- "I wish I had a gun..."
- "Aw man! It's all Stacey's fault!"
Max appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
An additional dialogue option exists which would allow the player to obtain Euclid's C-Finder for free. However, this dialogue option requires the cut Child at Heart perk, which was removed owing to the small number of children in the Mojave Wasteland.
- If pickpocketed and then spoken to, he will still offer the Euclid's C-Finder for sale, thus allowing another to be obtained. [verified]
- northern passage, on the canyons. Max may disappear from Freeside entirely, being moved to the far north of the map, beyond the
- Max can be seen running to the north from Freeside past Gun Runners. [verified]
- Max may run into the Gun Runners compound, then into the building, the Courier can talk to him and get the Euclid's C-Finder again even if the Barter check was used before. [verified]
- If the Barter check was used he will pull out another Euclid's C-Finder after a few days, and it may be obtained from him again.
- Veronica Santangelo: "Wow. Good thing the safety was on."
(Veronica Santangelo's dialogue)
- The Courier: "Hey. You see weird gun? ("Pardon, but have you seen any pre-war firearm antiques as of late?")"
Vagrant: "Indeed I have, my articulate friend. Not a few minutes ago I chanced upon a pair of destitute orphans grappling over just such an item."
- Courier: "I'm a space soldier. The general sent me to ask you to borrow your gun to stop an alien invasion."
Max: "Really? Cool! Bring it back to me when you're done, okay? I think Stacey might be turning into an alien."
(Max's dialogue) Note: Max's cut Child at Heart dialogue The