Markland is the medical officer and field medic at Bitter Springs. While he has extensive medical knowledge and field first aid (treating trench foot, making a tourniquet, etc.), he was not trained to treat the psychological trauma from which many of the refugees suffer.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character starts quests.|
- Bitter Springs Infirmary Blues: The lieutenant is hard-pressed for medical supplies, and is struggling with treatment for the psychological trauma of the refugees. He asks the Courier for assistance, though only after the Courier has spoken with Captain Gilles and received the quest No, Not Much.
- After completing Bitter Springs Infirmary Blues, he will sell the Courier medical equipment and aid.
- When spoken to, Markland seems genuinely concerned about the safety and health of the people he treats.
- "I'm an army field medic. I can treat bullet wounds, shrapnel, trench foot no problem. But this, the kids and the psychological trauma and all the rest is out of my league."
- "What I really need are medical texts - books on psychology or pediatrics, specifically."
- "I think that should just about cover us. I really don't know how to thank you, bringing me these supplies saved a lot of people."
Lieutenant Markland appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.