Maize can restore Hit Points with no radiation damage. It is one of the few edible food items that does not give any radiation, besides other fresh fruits or vegetables and food found in the non-compromised vaults. Additionally, in hardcore mode, it can reduce Starvation and Dehydration.
Maize is one of the most efficient (in terms of Starvation to weight ratio) hardcore mode food items in the game, should the Courier have low Survival skill, as it often removes more Starvation/Dehydration than most food items, contains zero radiation, is extremely common, and only weighs a quarter of a pound.
Survival skill effectEdit
|10||+1 Hit Point for 9s||-48 Starvation , -12 Dehydration|
|20||+1 Hit Point for 9s||-56 Starvation , -14 Dehydration|
|30||+1 Hit Point for 9s||-64 Starvation , -16 Dehydration|
|40||+1 Hit Point for 9s||-72 Starvation , -18 Dehydration|
|50||+2 Hit Point for 9s||-80 Starvation , -20 Dehydration|
|60||+2 Hit Point for 9s||-88 Starvation , -22 Dehydration|
|70||+2 Hit Point for 9s||-96 Starvation , -24 Dehydration|
|80||+2 Hit Point for 9s||-104 Starvation , -26 Dehydration|
|90||+2 Hit Point for 9s||-112 Starvation , -28 Dehydration|
|100||+3 Hit Point for 9s||-120 Starvation , -30 Dehydration|
- 102 in the biodiesel refinery in Nellis Air Force Base. Must be stolen.
- 34 can be stolen from Westside Co-op.
- Many plants can be found in the greenhouses at the NCR sharecropper farms.
- Some maize plants can be found in a Mojave home, west of Fields' shack, the second house on the road.
- Legionaries sometimes carry one or two maize.
- Large amounts can be purchased from Corporal Farber at Camp McCarran once his personal quest is finished.
- Large amounts can be purchased from the Boomer chefs at Nellis hangars.
- Two can be found inside the Nipton house, just opposite the general store where Boxcars is found. They are on top of the oven in the kitchen, in a pot.
- Two or three maize can be found at the raided farmstead where the Vipers have set up camp.
- Two maize plants can be found at Wolfhorn ranch, just down the hill from the farmhouse.
- seed package north of Dionaea Muscipula, across the pipe. Dried version, one of the items converted from the
- Field Research, once the biological research station has been upgraded. One can be acquired every 3 in-game days after the completion of
Maize plants have appeared in previous Fallout titles, and have been described as mutated versions of pre-War maize.