| ||For an overview of tanks in the Fallout series, see Tank.|
The United States military has also utilized heavy duty conventional main battle tanks. The heavy tank is a behemoth powered by a nuclear engine that employs a pair of tracked chassis using the poorly-chosen leaf spring suspension, with a single turret mounted on the top. Its key advantage is firepower: The heavy tank is equipped with a pair of large-caliber 140mm cannons using conventional ammunition.
All together, the tank weighed over sixty tons, making it unusable in marshlands and other soft terrains, despite the reliability that allowed for a single soldier to hotwire them and restore them to working order. It has no visible secondary armament. The vehicle bears some resemblance, in turret shape at least, to the M46 Patton which was used by the U.S. Army during the early years of the Korean War, also sporting a similar commander's cupola.
The heavy tank is powered by an equally heavy-duty nuclear engine, with it back pods allowing for the exposure of heat sinks for quick air cooling while stationary. The armor of the heavy tank uses riveted steel, a very unconventional choice from rolled homogenous steel which prevents spalling in the cabin from high explosive shells.
- One can be found immediately northwest of relay tower 0BB-915, slightly east of the Fort Hagen satellite array.
- One is located directly northwest to the rear of Fort Hagen, about 50-75 feet back and due north of the Red Rocket truck stop.
- One can be found north of Nordhagen beach, in line with Libertalia.
- Fort Hagen hangar located underneath Fort Hagen satellite array. Four can be found inside the
- Two can be found near the Red Rocket Mega Stop, in a convoy with a few other military vehicles.
- One can be found outside of Vault 76.
- Another can be found in the parking lot of the Converted munitions factory.
The tank near relay tower 0BB-915 has become stuck in rough terrain, as evidenced by a handful of skeletal soldiers with shovels. A nearby note indicates that the tank was taken for a joyride by a group of drunken soldiers immediately prior to the Great War.
The tank appears in Fallout 4 and Fallout 76.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Game asset
- Original model
- Modiphius STL 3D printing file
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Measured with the in-game yardstick.
- ↑ See this file.
- ↑ Vehicle appearance
- ↑ Bogged down
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 [Modiphius vehicle description https://www.modiphius.net/products/fallout-wasteland-warfare-terrain-expansion-tank-stl]
"This battlefield behemoth is an example of one of the US Army’s pre -war main battle tanks and one of the most powerful vehicles to ever rumble through the wasteland. Powered by a nuclear engine, its single turret design boasts a twin pair of heavy duty 140mm main cannons which it can use to demolish all but the most formidable of assailants in a single salvo. Weighing in at a monster 60 tons, its mass makes it unsuitable for use in soft terrain, but otherwise it’s a steel beast which dominates conventional battlefields. Modelled on the M46 Patton tank last used by the US Army in the conflicts of the mid to late twentieth century, several abandoned examples can be found scattered across the Wasteland and if you’re fortunate to find a working model it can be hotwired and restored to full capacity with a minimum of fuss. Woe betide your foes, if you succeed and one of these leviathans ever becomes fully operational again."
- ↑ Art Station
- ↑ NIF comments.