Unlike many pre-War companies in the United States, Mahkra Fishpacking operated with very few issues or dark secrets. Their biggest concern was the occasional accident with the thermostat in their factory, which could ruin a day's supply pending investigation from scientists that worked for the company. Their normal operations consisted of importing and exporting fish through this coastal facility, known officially as the Mahkra Fishpacking Plant; cod and bluefish were in the greatest supply from July 2077 onward. They also possessed a fleet of delivery trucks.
In June 2077, Mahkra Fishpacking finalized a contract with two local fishing boats who would supply the factory with half of their bluefish. Although Jane was disappointed to not receive 100% of the supply, the fishes' northern migration meant that the facility's inventory would stay steady and they could compete with their rivals. They were also working on a haddock contract in August 2077.
On the day of the Great War, the employees at the plant heard rumbling outside but were initially unaware of what was occurring. A few shipments fell off of the shelves, and some employees were concerned about the events outside, as they were not allowed to leave the building. An unspecified group told the employees to lock up the building and wait until they heard back. The main lift was also shut off, forcing employees on the two floors to communicate with each other via terminal.
Although the fates of the employees are never directly stated, there are several skeletons found throughout the building. Mahkra's processing facility also became a raider stronghold at some point post-War. It later became a point of interest for the Institute, as several synths are found in the lower levels of the plant, having killed the raiders.
Mahkra Fishpacking consists of a large factory on the far northern shore of the Commonwealth. The exterior is fortified with a stone wall and sandbags. During the first visit, the courtyard, catwalks, and interior are littered with the bodies of the former raider owners. Apart from the main entrance doors in the front, there is also an unlocked hatch entrance in the northeast corner of the roof, accessed by an exterior metal stairway.[Non-canon 1]
The upper level of the factory initially contains no hostiles, but after some exploration, a number of synths will enter the building, which then spread throughout the entire facility. A number of synths will also be outside the facility and on the roof upon exiting the plant.
To the northwest is a feral ghoul stuck on a platform on the water.
- Mahkra facilities key - On the eastern exterior of the building, on a dead raider hanging out of the storage bunker containing the robot model kit parts. Unlocks the nearby storage bunker door and an interior security gate.
- Robot model kit parts - On the eastern exterior of the building, behind an Advanced-locked door on a shelf.
- Bottle message #5 - Outside the plant, follow the east side path to the water to find a rowboat and the bottle upright in the sand nearby. The bottle objective leads to an underwater skeleton in a tub.
- Fusion core - Inside a hideout under the bridge leading to the factory.
- Vault-Tec lunchbox - In the same hideout under the bridge, behind a Novice-locked cell to the right on a shelf.
- Nuka-Cola Quantum - Back of the blue trailer in the middle of the factory near the ground-level entrance. It is in a crate next to a dead raider, booby-trapped with a frag mine on the floor.
- Tesla Science Magazine issue #9 - Next to an Expert-locked safe and a dead raider in the northwest corner of the lower level, underneath the stairway leading to the chained door.
- Mahkra facilities key - On a dead raider in the southeast corner of the lower level, next to an Advanced-locked security gate. Unlocks the nearby security gate and an exterior door on the east side of the facility.
- A total of 84 trays can be found in the lower level of the facility, producing 84 aluminum when scrapped.
- Variable Removal: The Sole Survivor must eliminate a courser. If left unchecked, they could cause a lot of damage to the Railroad's infrastructure.
- Treasure Hunt: The settler's note can be found here, beginning the quest.
- Randolph Safehouse: The Railroad agent Mister Tims will leave dead drops in the form of six holotapes for the Sole Survivor, containing information about possible hazards to the Railroad's escort and escape of synths out of the Commonwealth. They can assist in these efforts by clearing out the location of hostiles.
- Cleansing the Commonwealth: Knight Rhys gives the Sole Survivor an assignment to clear the location of what he calls "abominations" to further the aims of the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Lost Soul: Doctor Carrington has a lead on a synth that's in danger and sends the player character to save them.
- If allied with the Institute, the synths will simply greet the Sole Survivor, and will also destroy the Protectron if activated.
- Fish on the conveyor belts in the lower level are in reasonable condition, despite having been there for over 210 years.
- When traveling with Codsworth here, he states that his sensors detect an unpleasant odor. Danse, Piper, and Deacon also comment on the foul smell, as does Ada if Automatron is installed. X6-88 proposes finding a way to weaponize the odor.
When at this location, companions make comments, which are activated in the lower level storeroom.
|Curie||"The fishing industry has seen better days."|
|Deacon||"A properly cooked fish is pretty good eats. As long as it hasn't mutated too much."|
Mahkra Fishpacking appears only in Fallout 4.
- The Sole Survivor can get stuck on top of one of the conveyor belts in the lower level with the dinner trays on them, forcing the player to load a previous save. If the player character has a companion that is wearing power armor when this bug occurs, simply select the companion with the cursor and interact with them as if one was attempting to enter their power armor. This will teleport the player character to the location directly behind the companion's armor. The issue is that the player character is between rails squeezing them in; look up and follow them out. One can also sit in the nearby chair or stool to get unstuck. [verified]
- Many items may not respawn inside (mainly the trays in the lower level). This can occur if all synths are not eliminated. [verified]
- Occasionally, when attempting to end the quest "Variable Removal: Mahkra Fishpacking" by reporting back to P.A.M., she will state that she is in "Security Lockdown Mode." If so, she will refuse any verbal communication and the quest cannot be turned in. [verified]
- Mahkra Fishpacking terminal entries; terminal, Thermostat
- Mahkra Fishpacking terminal entries; terminal, Imports
- Mahkra Fishpacking terminal entries; terminal, Exports
- Mahkra Fishpacking terminal entries; terminal, Fumes
- Mahkra Fishpacking terminal entries; terminal, Boston Blue
- Mahkra Fishpacking terminal entries; terminal, What's Happening?
- Mahkra Fishpacking terminal entries; terminal, Nuka
- Corpses of raiders are found throughout the location.
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition pp. 325-326: "[4.02] MAHKRA FISHPACKING
A seafood processing facility with a processing level deep underground. You can open both the locked doors (Advanced) using the key found on the Raider draped over the window of the eastern exterior hut. Beware of synths active on the lower level and reinforcements once you ascend on your way out."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)