|For the Fallout Shelter weapon, see MPXL Novasurge.|
Developed by Doctor Aldwin Morley 14 years before the Great War, as a secretive prototype to the Enclave’s plasma pistol, this prototype plasma pistol also proves a conspiracy theory suspected long before the War. At the time, concern was focused on energy cell drain and weight problems caused by the coolant coils, but resulted in the frame being approved and used for the final design. Shortly after, it was stolen from the conspiracy by an organization called Quaere Verum, but was buried in a safe in a desert after being revealed to the Enclave by Morley, who had been posing as a double-agent and allowing the group to steal the Novasurge prototype before prompting Enclave agents to exterminate the group. The pistol was later taken by aliens who brought up both the safe that contained the gun and the computer terminal required to remotely unlock the safe.
The weapon acts very similarly to the plasma pistol it formed the basis for, barring several prototype features. First and foremost, this weapon does more than three times as much damage as the regular plasma pistol and has a higher critical multiplier (3x as opposed to 2x). However, it uses two energy cells to power each shot and weighs twice as much as the normal plasma pistol.
The MPLX Novasurge can fire a total of about 188 times, the equivalent of 24 reloads, from full condition before breaking. That's 212 times fewer than the common plasma pistol.
Plasma pistol - The common variant in Fallout 3.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
The weapon is found in the cargo hold area of Mothership Zeta. In one area is Reid Underwood's terminal (a Hard lock), which can be hacked to unlock a safe. To get to the terminal, go to the research lab door, go north then a bit east, and one should see a group of terminals. It will be the only one that is not broken. The safe itself is found in another area among several piles of rubble, next to a machine that is dropping items into a pit. Inside the safe is the weapon, a note detailing the weapon and energy cells (amount may vary due to the Scrounger perk).
The cargo hold becomes inaccessible after teleporting to the bridge, making it impossible to obtain the weapon afterward.
- Elliott can pick this weapon up if one unlocks Underwood's safe but does not go and collect the weapon.
- Somah can pick up this weapon without opening the safe, making it possible to obtain it without 75 points in Science.
- V.A.T.S., selecting a target causes the ammunition counter to drop by one, not two. The bolt will still use two energy cells, but this may force an unexpected reload sequence. [verified] While using
- Paladin Hoss will unexpectedly show up (even though he is not supposed to) and take the pistol after one has unlocked the safe. [verified] Sometimes
- MPLX "Novasurge" prototype plasma pistol - The notes on the development of the weapon.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.110 "A secretive prototype to the Enclave’s Plasma Pistol, the Novasurge functions in a very similar manner, and proves a conspiracy theory you long suspected. There are other bonuses too; the MPLX Novasurge inflicts more than three times the damage of a Plasma Pistol, with a bigger Crit % Mult too. Unfortunately, it is heavier and uses ammunition twice as quickly. Repair it using Plasma Pistols. It is found in a safe in the Debris Pile after you unlock it by hacking Reid Underwood’s Terminal inside the Mothership Zeta Cargo Hold [MZ2.11]."
- MPLX "Novasurge" prototype plasma pistol
- Reid Underwood's terminal