The MFC cluster is a powerful improvised explosive weapon. It is essentially six independent MFC grenades wrapped up together and rigged to explode like a mine. In keeping with this theme, the MFC cluster requires six times as many microfusion cells as one MFC grenade. When used, the player flings all six of the mines at the same time, which then separates into six different projectiles. The mines bounce off surfaces when thrown, and can cover a large distance very quickly by ricocheting.
Note that while in many respects the weapon is a placed weapon (for example, it cannot be used in V.A.T.S.), the distance that the individual mines travel is quite far, and exceed that of common mines (such as the bottlecap mine). Therefore the MFC cluster can be utilized as a low-range throwing weapon.
Mines that have not detonated can be disarmed and added back into the player's inventory as six separate MFC grenades. In reality, it would be possible to lose one or more of the grenades after they separate and subsequently fall. The MFC cluster is an improved holdout weapon and stands as the most powerful as such in terms of damage per second.
This weapon must be crafted by the player. It cannot be found on enemies or in containers.
duct tape (1)
microfusion cells (18)
Mad Bomber perk
Gun Runners' Arsenal add-on
(Mad Bomber) (GRA) (1)
- Due to the unusual scatter-effect of this weapon, mines may bounce back towards the Courier and companions, even in relatively open areas.
- Because the MFC cluster consists of six different projectiles, DT (either the player's or that of enemies) is much more effective at mitigating the damage than DR.
- When held, there visually appears to be eight grenades in each cluster, but only six grenades are released when a cluster is thrown.
- Even if thrown a long way apart, the microfusion cells tend to detonate simultaneously, resulting in a large blast radius.
- When thrown at the Auto-Doc in the Sink, the grenades may stick to the door. They can still be detonated or disarmed.
- When thrown at water, the mines will dip under the surface, often traveling a long way, before bobbing back up and floating. They may still be detonated or disarmed and collected.
- The MFC cluster consists of six independent MFC grenades but has the same weight as just one.
Behind the scenes
Joshua Sawyer stated in October 2020 that the MFC cluster was his favorite weapon to design from Fallout: New Vegas, as they were very silly and testing them and "goofing around with them" made him laugh.
- Fallout: New Vegas 10th Anniversary Charity Stream (reference starts at 3:06:43)
Joshua Sawyer: "'What was my favorite weapon to design?' This might sound weird, but my favorite weapon to design was actually the microfusion cell clusters in Gun Runners' Arsenal. Because they were very funny... they just bounce all over the place, and it made me laugh, like, goofing around with them. Yeah, they're just silly weapons."