|For a cross-game overview, see grenade launcher.|
One of the earliest United States grenade launcher designs, built around the 40mm grenade. Utilizing the High-Low propulsion system, the M79 allows the operator to deliver high explosive rounds at a range of hundreds of meters, while its rugged design, consisting of just five major parts, a receiver, fore-end, barrel, sight, and stock, offers excellent reliability. The one drawback is that the grenade launcher is single-shot only, reducing its rate of fire and precluding a sustained volume of fire. However, it is quite compact, especially with the stock sawed off, while the straightforward optics, consisting of a fixed blade sight on the front and a folding leaf sight on the rear, enable accurate fire with just pointing and shooting. These qualities kept it in use well into the late 21st century.
A single shot, break-action, 40mm grenade launcher. When fired, the grenade is propelled in an arc, rather than laterally, meaning it's best to aim at the ground below the target rather than directly at the target for more consistent hits.
M79 grenade launcher Lv 15 (1)
M79 grenade launcher Lv 25 (1)
M79 grenade launcher Lv 35 (1)
- Long barrel
- Full stock
- Crushing Blow - A unique grenade launcher given as a Survival mode reward from March 26 - April 1, 2019.
- Crafted at a weapons workbench.
Behind the scenes
In an earlier patch, the M79 was considered both a shotgun and an explosive weapon. That meant that the M79 could benefit from both shotgun damage perks and the explosives damage perk cards. This has been corrected in patches 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.
- Only applies to the 3 damage on-hit, not the explosion damage
- Weapon appearance and naming.
- Fallout 76 patch 22.214.171.124 patch notes: "Shotgun Perks: No longer incorrectly benefit the M79 Grenade Launcher."
- Fallout 76 patch 126.96.36.199 patch notes: "Weapons: M79 Grenade Launcher is now considered an explosive weapon in perks instead of being incorrectly considered a shotgun."