|For a cross-game overview, see grenade launcher.|
A single shot, break-action, 40mm grenade launcher. When fired, the grenade is propelled in an arc, rather than laterally, meaning it's best to aim at the ground below the target rather than directly at the target for more consistent hits.
M79 grenade launcher Lv 15 (1)
M79 grenade launcher Lv 25 (1)
M79 grenade launcher Lv 35 (1)
- Long barrel
- Full stock
- Crushing Blow - A unique grenade launcher given as a Survival mode reward from March 26 - April 1, 2019.
- Crafted at a weapons workbench.
[verification overdue]Under certain conditions it is possible to fire twice or more on a single clip.[clarification needed]
Behind the scenes
In an earlier patch, the M79 was considered both a shotgun and an explosive weapon. That meant that the M79 could benefit from both shotgun damage perks and the explosives damage perk cards. This has been corrected in patches 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52.
- Only applies to the 3 damage on-hit, not the explosion damage
- Fallout 76 patch 184.108.40.206 patch notes: "Shotgun Perks: No longer incorrectly benefit the M79 Grenade Launcher."
- Fallout 76 patch 220.127.116.11 patch notes: "Weapons: M79 Grenade Launcher is now considered an explosive weapon in perks instead of being incorrectly considered a shotgun."