|For the item in Fallout 2, see Magic 8-ball.|
It has a weight of 1 and increases the Luck stat by 1 point (up to a maximum of 10) as long as it is carried in the player character's inventory. If it is dropped (including storing it in a container), a dialogue box will mention "no longer feeling lucky," and the Luck bonus will be removed until it is picked up again.
Unlike normal pool balls, it cannot be used as Rock-It Launcher ammunition.
- Unlike most items that boost stats, the lucky 8-ball is considered a permanent increase, akin to a rank of Intense Training, not a temporary increase. This can cause issues:
- The effect counts for perk requirements, such as Better Criticals, which requires 6 Luck.
- The effect is not shown in the "Status Effects" section of the Pip-Boy, but the increased stat can be seen in the "S.P.E.C.I.A.L." section.
- If the Almost Perfect perk is taken with the lucky 8-ball in one's inventory, it will lower their Luck to 8 when dropped, since it counts as a semi-permanent increase.
- Though it no longer serves any purpose, this item can be found in the game files for Fallout: New Vegas.
[verification overdue]Sometimes, the 8-ball's +1 Luck effect will stop working. This can be fixed by dropping it and picking it back up.