The perk grants the player character a +15% experience boost for several hours, after sleeping any amount of time in an unowned bed with a companion or ally with whom the player character has a romantic relationship in Fallout 4 and Fallout 76.
- Lover's Embrace replaces the Well Rested perk. When sleeping, the player character will obtain one or the other, but not both. If the player character already has the Lover's Embrace perk and attempts to sleep away from their companion, they still will not obtain the Well Rested perk.
- Sleeping again before the effect has run out will not cancel the effect.
- Fast-traveling jumps the in-game time forward by an amount that depends on the distance traveled, up to a little over 14 hours from the farthest corners, which would negate the Lover's Embrace bonus. However, sleeping with your partner somewhere safe and near your actual target before setting out is advised if you want to get the maximum amount of experience out of your adventures, as shorter distance fast travels take only several hours of game time.
- The Sole Survivor can mitigate the traveling time by using the Institute as a jumping platform as it only takes 1-game-minute to teleport to and from the Institute.
- PC Reducing the game timescale using console commands reduces fast travel time as well as game time.
- The Sole Survivor's companion does not have to be traveling with them at the time to gain the effect, they only have to be within a certain distance of the player character.
- The player character's companion will usually comment on the night's rest upon awaking. Sometimes talking about how late they slept, even if they only slept for an hour and woke up before dawn.
- It is possible to sleep for zero hours by canceling the sleep as soon as the background goes black, and before any time counts down. The bonus is still received.
PC In Fallout 4, sometimes both the Lover's Embrace and the Well Rested bonus are given, adding up to a total of +25% experience while they last. Once the 8 hours are over, both perks expire with no known side effects.[verified]