An elderly, well-dressed gentleman, Salvatore's face is gaunt and covered with liver spots. Due to his age, he has trouble breathing and must rely on a steady supply of oxygen to control his respiratory problems, always wearing a breathing mask, connected to an oxygen tank by his side. This old man is a gangster from long ago and is the oldest mob patriarch in New Reno. His family has clung to their waning power for generations, growing envious of the Mordinos' power. After establishing a profitable drug and slave enterprise with the Enclave, he ordered his men to massacre Mordino men in the street with newly-acquired energy weapons, their twitching bodies signifying his return to the game.
His right-hand man and personal bodyguard is Mason, to whom he relegates the specifics of jobs for those under his employment. He is personally responsible for having Renesco poison the dose of Jet that caused Richard Wright's death, in the hope of provoking a war between the Wright and Mordino crime families.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Track down Pretty Boy Lloyd, recover the stolen money, and make an… example of him: Pretty Boy Lloyd borrowed some money, but paid nothing back. Retrieve the money and kill him.
- Go visit Renesco the Rocketman and collect Mr. Salvatore's tribute of $1000: Salvatore wants the Chosen One to extort the bi-weekly payment of $1000 from Renesco the Rocketman.
- Help guard a secret transaction taking place in the desert: Salvatore asks the Chosen One to guard a transaction he wishes to do with the Enclave.
- Assassinate Boss Salvatore for Big Jesus Mordino: Salvatore can be assassinated by stealing his oxygen tank, but because of a bug one must also be holding onto the poisoned oxygen tank. This is fixed in some versions of the game.
Effects of player's actions
After his assassination, Mason will complain he never confessed his love for his paternal employer.
Louis Salvatore has a "respect counter" that must be filled to get to specific objectives, like Joanne Lynette. Salvatore is more demanding than her, with "respect" actively falling if the Chosen One does not address him properly.
With CH 6 or IN 8, the player character gets the "courteous" lines, and "disrespectful" lines otherwise. Salvatore's scripting is much more careful than Lynette's, with the very few lines fitting the pattern but not affecting the counter more predictable and logical (such as apologizing to him after being turned down on the laser pistol request).
The "respect" requirements are:
- 8 points for the Help guard a secret transaction taking place in the desert quest
- 9 points to get a laser pistol while taking the quest
- 10 points to get the Made Man offer
- 16 points and optionally enough of Mason's patience to get better items and cash when becoming a Made Man.
- This is unachievable without abusing the dialogue system because there are only 15 opportunities to earn the points without visiting any lines of dialogue twice. Other than using the 0 hotkey, the initial dialogue can be exited and repeated before getting the first job offer.
Note that the "respect counter" changes mid-dialogue, directly after a response.
Mr. Salvatore has additional scripting that makes him susceptible to a single super stimpak.
Louis Salvatore appears only in Fallout 2.
- NcSalvat.msg, line 150