- Harvest the mine for minerals and scrap before it collapses.
The quest begins when a message announces to the players that one of the abandoned mines in the Ash Heap, Kittery or Elaine, has opened up again for harvesting scrap and minerals within before it collapses and is sealed off again for some time. Players in the vicinity of the Ash Heap will also feel the ground shake due to the rumbling caused by the mine reopening. Once at the mine's entrance, one player will need to press the button to remove the debris blocking the mine entrance, while also dealing with the mole miners that are guarding the entrance. Once the entrance has been cleared, players can proceed into the mine itself. They have seven minutes to collect as much scrap and ore as they can while in the mine.
Inside, the mine will be full of Mole miners. There will also be three mining Protectrons that can be repaired to aid in the mining operations. Each one requires three steel to repair initially, and whenever the mole miners disable them to prevent the players from getting more profit from them. Keeping them operational yields Claim tokens that can be redeemed through the terminals found outside the mine in order to collect various mineral scrap harvested by the Auto-Miners. The number of claim tokens awarded by the Auto-Miners depend on how many are active at the time of the tokens being dispensed:
- 1 Auto-Miner active = 1 claim token
- 2 Auto-Miners active = 2 claim tokens
- 3 Auto-Miners active = 4 claim tokens
More tokens redeemed means a larger payoff by doing the quest repeatedly when it is announced, especially with the ones awarded by the Auto-Miners when they speak of using tokens to collect what they harvest. There will also be various ore veins that can be harvested as well.
Once the timer for protecting the Auto-Miners and collecting scrap and ore expires, players have about one minute to reach the mine exit before the mine is sealed off again and the quest is completed. Any ore they collected is kept once back outside the mine to be smelted into scrap, along with anything looted from the mole miners as well, including weapons to scrap for possible mods, and other junk for crafting materials, such as black titanium for the Excavator power armor. 10 additional claim tokens are awarded for completing the quest, alongside caps, experience, ammo, armor, weapons, and aid items.
It is worth noting that unlike most public events, this event can be completed with minimal player interaction. It is possible to push the button to open the mineshaft and simply wait outside until the timer expires. Whereas most quests will fail if a goal is not met, this one will still reward the minimum reward, 10 claim tokens, treasury notes, and legendary cores, even if the player never sets foot inside the mine.
The ore veins lining the interior of the mines are scripted to be unobtainable at random. Although they still appear and display the button prompt to harvest, they will not grant any ore. At least one ultracite ore is guaranteed to be harvestable. The seed chances for ore are as follows:
|Black titanium ore||66.7%||90.0%|
- Lode Baring cannot activate if Event: Battle Bot is active.
- The rewards are different if you end the event inside of the mine (and dying to falling rubble).
- An earthquake can be heard as the event starts and ends. The faint rumble may be felt up to 100,000 units away while the heavy rumble occurs within 4,000 units of the mine.
- Mole miner waves spawn every 20 seconds.
- Auto-miners grant claim tokens every 40 seconds.
Behind the scenes
- The quest's name is a play-on-words of "load bearing," "baring" (or revealing), and "motherlode."
- Event: A Mine of Her Own, a cut event set in the Burning Mine, is very similar to Lode Baring.
- The Bell Tolls will play upon receiving the miscellaneous quest to turn in the claim tokens at a claim terminal. If the player does not turn in the tokens and complete the quest, this message will play every time they join a server.[verified] The automated radio message from Melody Larkin for
- ore veins in both abandoned mine shaft Elaine and abandoned mine site Kittery are unable to be harvested. They will display the button prompt, but activating them will do nothing.[verified] Nearly half of the
- The fMinPercentToEnable property is out of place, and likely does not function as intended.