Legion explorers are tasked with surveying the lay of the land ahead of the primary Legion fighting force. They are also used as messengers for relaying communications between Legion outposts. Explorers are lightly armored and equipped, as their role in the Legion involves observation and speed rather than pure combat. Their Legion explorer armor provides only very modest protection, and they carry only a machete, a few throwing spears, and occasionally a hunting rifle or cowboy repeater.
Multiple Legion explorers can be found at Nelson and Cottonwood Cove, the Legion's two primary bases of operation west of the Colorado River. They can also be found at Caesar's stronghold, Fortification Hill.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has no special interactions.|
At Nelson, a Legion explorer is stationed at each of the four cardinal directions from the camp and will confront the Courier if they approach. The interaction will be determined by the Courier's overall reputation with the Legion. With a positive, neutral, or "Sneering Punk" level of overall reputation, the Courier can choose to be escorted to Dead Sea, the local Legion commander, or resist the explorer and turn the entire town hostile. If the Courier has a negative overall reputation (except "Sneering Punk"), the explorer will comment on how the Courier "defies the will of the mighty Caesar," and turns the entire town hostile afterward.
Additionally, a handful of explorers can be found patrolling Cottonwood Cove, with one explorer stationed permanently at the entrance to the camp. The explorer will demand to know the Courier's business if spoken to. The Courier can either pass a Speech check claiming to be a trader, claim to be a friend of the Legion, or be let through with the Mark of Caesar. Unlike the explorers at Nelson, he will show less hostility towards the Courier when greeting them.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Legion explorer armor
|Hunting rifle or
- "If it isn't the courier who's done everything she can to defy the will of mighty Caesar!"
- "Follow me. Make any trouble, and you'll wind up on a cross - if you're lucky."
- "You wear the Mark of Caesar?! You must be who Cursor Lucullus is waiting for. You may continue, but be warned. Mark or no, we will not tolerate aggressive action by visitors in the camp."
Legion explorers appear only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- After speaking with any of the Legion explorers in Nelson, attempting to talk to them again will cause the screen to zoom in briefly, only to snap back to normal view without any dialogue being spoken. [verified]
- The dialogue option that allows the player to claim they are a "friend of the Legion" is meant to only be successful if the player does not have a negative reputation with Caesar's Legion, but due to a malformed condition the option is successful regardless of the player's reputation. [verified]
- Cottonwood Cove and speak to a Legion explorer while wearing Legion faction armor, you may say you are a friend of the Legion. Then, when you take off the armor, a Legion explorer may initiate dialogue with you, but only say a generic line like "move along" etc. If you head to