Every Legion soldier killed by the Courier has a chance of having this on his corpse. They are used in the unmarked quest An Ear to the Ground. Private Sexton at Camp Forlorn Hope is organizing a competition to collect them, and will reward the Courier for bringing them to him. For obvious reasons, they will only be in the victim's inventory upon death, unlike the NCR dogtags. The ears have no other actual uses outside of this quest, although they are weightless if the player character would like to "collect" them.
Anywhere Legion members are found, it is possible to acquire their ears to collect and give back to Pvt. Sexton.
- The Fort
- Cottonwood Cove
- Legion raid camp
- Legate's camp (unaccessible until end of game, without the use of exploits, therefore making this location useless for getting Legion ears)
- Nipton, on the dead Legionary in the house with the prototype Mister Gutsy, the dead Legionary in the heavily booby-trapped house, and the ash pile in the trailer park, right next to the dead wastelander with a dropped laser rifle.
- Bloodborne cave, on a dead Legion Recruit.
- Techatticup Mine
- Searchlight fire station - Two are found on the dead Legionaries there, next to the truck with the radiation barrels.
Legionary assassins do not drop ears when killed.
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 It appears you cannot obtain any ears through Legion soldiers occupying The Fort. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Ears may appear on Legion soldiers very early in game allowing them to be collected prior to even entering Camp Forlorn Hope or accepting the quest. An example of this happening is inside the houses of Nipton, on the bodies of a few dead Legion Troops. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 The Legion attackers in Boone's companion quest will not have ears on them. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Legionaries found in Legate's Camp will not have ears on them. [verified]