|For an overview of laser rifle models, see laser rifle.|
The AER9 was actually not the top laser rifle in service at the time of the Great War. The model line went up to the state-of-the-art AER12, which saw service in a handful of specialty units. The reason that the AER9 is much more commonly found is that it was much sturdier and more reliable than the models that followed. A new model, the AER14, was in development prior to the war, with at least one working prototype surviving in Vault 22.
The AER9 features a titanium housed crystal array which proved to withstand long years of exposure to the elements much better than the gold alloy housing of the later models. As a result, the crystal arrays stayed focused within operating parameters, rather than falling completely out of focus like the newer models. Power is drawn from microfusion cells and processed through a wave/particle diverter manufactured by General Atomics International. The diverters are protected by a carbon-fiber housing, preventing frequent malfunction, but when a diverter fails the weapon becomes unusable.
The laser rifle has no iron sights but compensates with excellent zoom. It can be upgraded with a scope, making it less effective in close quarters, but thanks to its good accuracy, it can be used as a medium to long-range weapon. The laser rifle makes a decent starting weapon, but with all mods and more powerful ammo types, it is extremely powerful, even at high levels.
The laser rifle can fire a total of about 620 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 26 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Laser rifle focus optics - Adds +3 damage
- Laser rifle scope - Adds a long range scope with 3.5x magnification
- Laser rifle beam splitter - Splits each shot into two beams, with greater total power than a single beam
- Van Graff laser rifle - A special version of laser rifle given by the Van Graffs during the quest Birds of a Feather.
- AER14 prototype - The unique version of the laser rifle in Fallout: New Vegas.
|The following is based on developer test content from the Fallout: New Vegas files.|
- The Disintegrator - A cut version of the laser rifle that deals a very large amount of damage per shot.
|End of information based on developer test content from the Fallout: New Vegas files.|
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Van Graff laser rifle||15||46.2||3.08||x1.5||15||18||0.8||0.025||24||270||8||800||100||0||3|
|Tri-beam laser rifle||66|
|Tri-beam laser rifle||66|
|Tri-beam laser rifle||75|
- Fiends often carry them.
- Can be found on Bright Brotherhood corpses in and around the REPCONN test site.
- Hidden Valley bunker - Torres may sell laser rifles.
- Found on the dead Brotherhood patrols during the Still in the Dark quest.
- Can also be found on the three Brotherhood scouts.
- Nipton - Another can be found lying beside a dead wastelander in the Good Luck trailer park.
- Nipton house - One can be found inside in the bathtub of one of the houses.
- Silver Rush - Gloria may sell laser rifles, and numerous laser rifles can be stolen from around the store.
- They can often be purchased from Quartermaster Bardon.
- One can be found in a hotel room in Primm.
- Can be found on Y-17 trauma override harnesses at lower levels.
- Prior to patch 220.127.116.11x, the laser rifle dealt only 15 points of damage per shot.
- The laser rifle does not have iron sights.
- Due to the fact that it can fire two beams at once by adding a beam splitter, it can score a critical hit for each beam outside of V.A.T.S. This effect allows it to sometimes (with a critical hit for each beam) cause a huge amount of damage (72.6) per shot. On characters focused on critical chance, the effective damage can be higher than 200% against foes on full T-51b power armor (31 DT) compared to the laser rifle without the laser rifle beam splitter.