| ||For an overview of laser rifle models in the Fallout series of games, see laser rifle.|
The AER9 was actually not the top laser rifle in service at the time of the Great War. The model line went up to the state-of-the-art AER12, which saw service in a handful of specialty units. The reason that the AER9 is much more commonly found is that it was much sturdier and more reliable than the models that followed. A new model, the AER14, was in development prior to the war, with at least one working prototype surviving in Vault 22.
The AER9 features a titanium housed crystal array which proved to withstand long years of exposure to the elements much better than the gold alloy housing of the later models. As a result, the crystal arrays stayed focused within operating parameters, rather than falling completely out of focus like the newer models. Power is drawn from microfusion cells and processed through a wave/particle diverter manufactured by General Atomics International. The diverters are protected by a carbon-fiber housing, preventing frequent malfunction, but when a diverter fails the weapon becomes unusable.
As with all energy weapons, the AER9 can suffer from poor performance if not properly maintained. The crystal arrays and non-mechanical components are delicate and if not properly serviced can lead to a loss of beam intensity, overheating, and energy regulation failure.
The laser rifle has no iron sights, but compensates with excellent zoom. It can be upgraded with a scope, making it less effective in close quarters, but thanks to its good accuracy, it can be used as a medium to long-range weapon. The laser rifle makes a decent starting weapon, but with all mods and more powerful ammo types, it is extremely powerful, even at high levels.
The laser rifle can fire a total of about 620 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 26 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Laser rifle focus optics - Adds +3 damage
- Laser rifle scope - Adds a long range scope with 3.5x magnification
- Laser rifle beam splitter - Splits each shot into two beams, with greater total power than a single beam
- Van Graff laser rifle - A special version of laser rifle given by the Van Graffs during the quest Birds of a Feather.
- AER14 prototype - The unique version of the laser rifle in Fallout: New Vegas.
|The following is based on developer test content cut from Fallout: New Vegas and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- The Disintegrator - A cut version of the laser rifle that deals a very large amount of damage per shot.
|End of information based on developer test content cut from Fallout: New Vegas.|
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Van Graff laser rifle||15||46.2||3.08||x1.5||15||18||0.8||0.025||24||270||8||800||100||0||3|
|Tri-beam laser rifle||66|
|Tri-beam laser rifle||66|
|Tri-beam laser rifle||75|
- Fiends often carry them.
- Hidden Valley bunker - Torres may sell laser rifles.
- Found on the dead Brotherhood patrols during the Still in the Dark Quest.
- Nipton - Another can be found lying beside a dead wastelander by the small trailer park.
- Nipton house - One can be found inside in the bathtub of one of the houses.
- Silver Rush - Gloria may sell laser rifles, and numerous laser rifles can be stolen from around the store.
- They can often be purchased from Quartermaster Bardon.
- One can be found in a hotel room in Primm.
- Prior to patch 126.96.36.199x, the laser rifle dealt only 15 points of damage per shot.
- The laser rifle does not have iron sights.
- Due to the fact that it can fire two beams at once by adding a beam splitter, it can score a critical hit for each beam outside of V.A.T.S. This effect allows it to sometimes (with a critical hit for each beam) cause a huge amount of damage (72.6) per shot. On characters focused on critical chance, the effective damage can be higher than 200% against foes on full T-51b power armor (31 DT) compared to the laser rifle without the laser rifle beam splitter.
Behind the scenesEdit
The markings on these rifles as well as their descriptions hint at the types of lasing mediums used in each variant. The 1064 nm wavelength (frequency converted to green, 532 nm) of the AER14 prototype strongly indicates that it is a Nd:YAG (neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet) laser while the ~650 nm wavelength of the AER9 laser rifle indicates that it is likely a Ruby, InGaAs or HeNe laser.
| || |