The LAER is an energy rifle. It has low critical hit damage, low item HP, and is rare. It has a very high spread for an energy rifle. When compared to its variant, Elijah's advanced LAER, the standard model has 50% more HP, but fires slower.
The LAER can fire a total of about 370 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 19 reloads, or 14 reloads when modified with the auxiliary recharger chip, from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ Auxiliary recharger chip|
- LAER mod - auxiliary recharger chip - recycles one round per four shots.
- LAER mod - prismatic lens - splits the beam into three beams increasing total damage by 30% similar to the Laser rifle beam splitter.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Elijah's advanced LAER||65||178.8||2.75||x1.5||15||32||2||0.08||15||245||4||8500||2125||75||4|
|Elijah's advanced LAER||84.5||232.4||2.75||x1.5||15||32||2.6||0.08||15(20)||245||4||14000||3500||75||4|
Seven LAERs can be found in total:
- One can be found in the Big MT north tunnel, toward the northernmost side of the lower level below the force field.
- Another one can be found at the X-8 research center on Gabe's corpse.
- One can be found at X-7a "Left Field" artillery launch on the corpse of the unique sentry bot, RY-589 Ultimo bot.
- Three can be found in the X-42 robo-warfare facility:
- One on the remains of the giant robo-scorpion.
- In the same room, in a chamber connected to the exit platform. It is on a table in the middle of the room, and it is in good condition. This one requires a force field to be disabled in order to gain access to it.
- Another one is in the Forbidden Zone's dome section, in the second floor room, just left of the brain tank.
- One can be found on top of the X-13 research facility. In order to reach it, the player character must jump down from the cliff to the north. The cliff can be climbed by jumping up a pile of rocks just to the west of the Big MT west tunnel.
Behind the scenes
- It was at first a cut energy weapon of Fallout: New Vegas, appearing in the concept art section of the Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition complete with its own icon in the game file.
- Its acronym "Laser Assisted Electrical Rifle" is seen in concept art.