Paladin Kodiak is the largest and strongest member of Lyons’s Pride and the chapter in general. He is as gruff and vicious as a bear, excelling in close quarters combat with a power sledge. Within the Lyons' Pride, Kodiak is their "jack of all trades" not specializing in any one area, but doing a bit of everything: recon, demolition, and tactical assault.
Kodiak's real name is Greg Bear. He was the youngest of three brothers and the least affected. He is one of the Scourge children, taken by Owyn Lyons' men from the Pitt and inducted into the Brotherhood. In fact, he is the only one still stationed at the Citadel. Although Kodiak was separated from his two older brothers, considered too wild and unpredictable by Lyons' troops, he believes Owyn Lyons saved his life and he considers the Elder to be as close to a father as he will ever get.
The Pitt was the site of a siege conducted by Elder Lyons, intended to wipe out any and all of the city's mutated residents. Kodiak describes the city as being a dangerous, crime-filled place, more so than any other area in the East Coast wasteland, and certainly enough for him to consider the Scourge the best thing to happen to the place. The only citizens of the Pitt spared by Lyons were children who appeared to be unmutated. Greg Bear was one of these children. He informs the Lone Wanderer that he and about 20 other unmutated youths were brought to Washington, D.C. and subsequently trained as Brotherhood soldiers by Lyons - he remains as the only surviving member from that group still stationed at the Citadel.
Within the Lyons' Pride, Kodiak is their "jack of all trades" not specializing in any one area, but doing a bit of everything: recon, demolition, and tactical assault.
Interactions with the player character
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Take it Back!: Kodiak will aid the Lone Wanderer in battle when reclaiming Project Purity.
- Gallows Humor: Kodiak may make the player character aware of the bets concerning Knight Captain Gallows' name.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Lyons' Pride power armor
Brotherhood power helmet*
Merc outfit (Varies)
|Brotherhood of Steel holotag|
- * During Take it Back!
- When he tells the Wanderer his story, one is unable to tell him they have been to the Pitt even if one has completed the main quest. He will assume they have never been and will tell them about the trogs and raiders.
- He is a somber but polite, much like Gallows.
- He is only of the only two children, the other being Marie, who were born in the the Pitt and did not succumb to the Troglodyte Degeneration Contagion, despite the disease having a nearly 100% degeneration rate for infants born in the city.
- "There's meat under that armor, and meat can be ground…" – Kodiak commenting on Enclave soldier
- "Now that's a story... The only reason I'm here is because of Elder Lyons. You see, I grew up in the Pitt. Don't suppose you've ever been there, huh? It's about 500 klicks to the northwest. Place is a nightmare -- three irradiated rivers coming together. People there were... not well. But the Brotherhood of Steel came down on the place with a righteous hammer. They called it 'The Scourge.'"
- "Ah, see, the Brotherhood's one thing, but the Pride... Best of the best. Every damn one of us. Hand picked by Sentinel Lyons herself."
- "All of 'em became Initiates. Most of them went on to become Brothers. A lot fell in action. I'm the only survivor of the Scourge of the Pitt still stationed at the Citadel." – Kodiak, about what happened to the Pitt kids.
Paladin Kodiak appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
The name "Kodiak" refers to the Kodiak bear (also known as the Alaskan brown bear), one of the largest species of bear in the world.
- Kodiak: "Hail. Name's Greg -- Greg Bear. Most of the guys just call me Kodiak."
- The Lone Wanderer: "What made them so terrible?"
Kodiak: "The rivers. Even after the war, they were still flowing, but irradiated, and filled with God knows what else. I saw things there I can't even begin to describe. I was only... what... eight years old when I left? Hell of a thing for a kid to go through."
(Kodiak's dialogue) Note: Paladin Kodiak claims to have been around eight years old when the Brotherhood swept through The Pitt. The Scourge occurred in 2255, making his birth date about 2247.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.89: "Paladin Kodiak
Paladin Kodiak (also known as Greg Bear) is the largest and strongest member of Lyons's Pride. He is actually considered the largest and strongest member of the Brotherhood of Steel in general. As the name implies, he is as gruff and vicious as a bear, and he excels in close combat with a Power Sledge. Paladin Kodiak owes his life to Elder Lyons, who rescued Kodiak as a child from a distant city known as "the Pitt." Because of this, Kodiak thinks of Elder Lyons as his father."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- The Lone Wanderer: "What's your combat specialization in Lyons' Pride?"
Kodiak: "Hell, I do it all. Recon, demolition, tactical assault. Guess you could say I'm the Pride's jack of all trades."
- The Lone Wanderer: "How did you escape?"
Kodiak:"As they swept through, the Brotherhood policed up every non-mutie child they could find. Turns out, there weren't that many. Me and maybe twenty others. The younger we were, the less of a chance that we were mutated. It was ugly work, no doubt, but it had to be done. I'll never forget the sight of the Brotherhood of Steel breaching the breast of the mountain at dawn."
- The Lone Wanderer: "How did you rebuild after the Scourge?"
Ishmael Ashur: "It wasn't actually that tough. The Scourge had cleared out a lot of Trogs, so we had space to move in. The Brotherhood had looted a lot, but they left even more behind as "damaged goods." And you can rebuild a lot out of "damaged goods." For example, they took one survivor, a kid the called "Kodiak". But they left his big brothers behind, because they were too wild and mean. But as it turns out, the Bear Brothers were some of my finest soldiers. At least, until they went up against you."
(Ishmael Ashur's dialogue)
- The Lone Wanderer: "How did you end up back here?"
Kodiak:"Elder Lyons brought us all back to the Citadel. He said it was the safest place he knew of. This place was still being converted. He put us in as Initiates and kept a watchful eye over us. He was tough, but he taught us to stay alive. The man is like a father to me."