|This page is about the Think Tank scientist. For other characters named Klein, see Klein.|
Doctor Klein is a pre-War doctor and the chief/head researcher of logistical operations and ideology at Big MT. Sometime after the Great War, he became a think tank to continue his work. He seems to be overconfident in his intelligence, as he shows absolutely no grasp of the purpose or function of the advanced technology he tasks the Courier to retrieve. He also remains very disrespectful of his colleagues and often ignores and criticizes them for suggesting what actions the Think Tank should take. One example of his ego was the theory of "brainial beam oscillation," for which he took credit. It was the Chinese that came up with it, but he deleted all evidence for that.
Along with his original name and human memories, Klein has lost much of his knowledge of human anatomy, and refers to the Courier's fingers and toes as "penises." He is shown to fear and hate Dr. Mobius, although they were partners at one time. He often pompously asserts his status as a head researcher, using that to override his colleagues and ignore their advice, as well as to justify being rude to them. At the end of Old World Blues, it is revealed that he and the Think Tank extracted the Courier's brain in order to escape their imprisonment in Big MT and use the Mojave to conduct ruthless experiments on both the Wasteland and its denizens. This is much like the implementation of the Cloud in the Sierra Madre to test the chemical, the hazmat suits and Auto-Doc technology, all created as experiments on humans.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Sonic Emitter Upgrade: Klein wants the player character to go to the X-8 research center and take the Basic Institutional Test, which eventually leads to upgrading the sonic emitter and thus taking down the force fields.
- X-2: Strange Transmissions!: Klein wants the player character to disable the X-2 transmitter.
- X-8: High School Horror!: Klein asks the player character to retrieve the three student records from the X-8 Institutional Facility.
- X-13: Attack of the Infiltrator!: Klein wants the player character to head to the X-13 research facility and find parts for the X-13 cardiac regulator sneak suit.
- Old World Blues: After completing the given tasks, return to Dr. Klein for further information.
- Welcome to the Big Empty: The player character has to talk to Klein, as with the rest of the Think Tank, to complete the quest.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Electron charge packs, over charge
Microfusion cells, over charge
- When Dr. Mobius comments on what the scientists have forgotten, friendship is probably aimed at Dr. Klein, who barely acknowledges his colleagues, and even regards them more as understudies or employees than his friends.
- Throughout Old World Blues, he speaks in a very loud voice, as apparently the other scientists or Elijah have messed around with the volume control on his chassis; this is why Dr. Klein's dialogue is always in all-caps.
- Klein has a hatred for the words "mutiny" and "jism."
- Inside Klein's house, directly above the door, is a large Old World flag. This could imply Klein was or still is an American patriot. This could explain his willingness to help Ulysses.
- Klein is responsible for the destruction of the Y-0 research center, although he refuse to admit it.
- Despite his hostility against Dr. Mobius, he is willing to consider him as a partner and work for him, if the Courier pretends to be Mobius in the Old World Blues quest.
- "ATTENTION: BIG MT. THIS IS AN URGENT MESSAGE. IF YOU HAPPEN TO SEE A GECKO... ECKO. ECHO? ECH-O. ECHOOOO. ECHOOOO."
- "WHAT DID IT SAY? SPIT "LEAD?" WHAT, LIKE PENCILS?"
- "WHAT IS IT? THE LOBOTOMITE IS ASKING ME THINGS, O, AND I AM TRYING TO IGNORE THEM. MY PROCESSORS CAN'T IGNORE YOU BOTH AT THE SAME TIME."
- "WHAT IS THIS, A HIGH SCHOOL SCIENCE FAIR?! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, YOU'RE MAKING US LOOK LIKE A COLLECTION OF ROUND-EARTHERS!"
- "WHAT ILLOGIC IS THIS?! KEEP YOUR FILTHY PENIS-TIPPED FEET OUT OF OUR LABS AND SECRETS!"
- "IT IS NOT AN ARGUMENT IF ONE IS CLEARLY RIGHT AND THE OTHER IS CLEARLY WRONG!"
Behind the scenes
- His name is a reference to the mathematician Felix Klein who created the Klein bottle, a two-dimensional non-orientable object in four-dimensional space, an equivalent to the Mobius strip.
- The three perks that he can give the Courier (Heartless, Brainless, and Spineless) are references to The Wizard of Oz: the scarecrow was missing a brain, the tin man was missing a heart, and the lion was missing courage. This is mentioned by multiple characters throughout the add-on.
The Courier: "Maybe you should confer with your colleagues first."
Klein: "NONSENSE. "CONFER?" "COLLEAGUES?" THOSE ARE TWO WORDS I DO NOT RECOGNIZE."
Dala: "Dr. Klein, I must... . Please... do not harm the Lobotomite."
Klein: "I'M NOT GOING TO HARM IT, I'M GOING TO DISSECT IT UNTIL ITS DEAD. "
Dala: "I cannot stand a breathing, a sweet breathing organism, breathing in, and out, to suddenly not breathe. We must keep it alive. For study. Slow study."
Klein: "DALA, THESE... VOCALIZED PAUSES ARE... UNLIKE YOU. WHAT DO YOU CARE?"
Doctor 0: "*Klein, uh... you know, this Lobotomite, it's a great sounding board. You respect Idea-ology, right? This one's... well, it's... got good ideas.*"
Klein: " THIS IS A THINK TANK DECISION. SAVE YOUR OBJECTIONS UNTIL I HAVE DECIDED OUR COURSE OF ACTION."
0: "*You know what, Klein? Stick a straw in your tank and suck yourself. Long and deep.* *And my name is - yeah, a big fat zero, with a through it.*"
Klein: " }"
0: "*The Lobotomite taught me that. Taught me a name is more than... um... that I should take pride in... things. Like... names... and...* *You know what, forget it, Klein. I hate you. your theory of brainial beam oscillation? The Chinese had it , you copycat!*"
Klein: " "
8: " "
Klein: "ET 2, 8? WHY ARE YOU ACTING LIKE THIS? YOU'VE NEVER REFUSED TO COMMIT NECESSARY... SURGERY BEFORE. "
8: " @@[=$+<_--*]@@? = @@[=$+<_--*]@@? @@[<*$(^=)#]@@! @@[#-@$$@-#]@@. @@[*.......]@@... @@[$((*&^#%]@@?"
Klein: "A NOBLE SPEECH, THE VERY CONCEPT - REVOLTING. "
Borous: "- - -This Lobotomite is much like us, regarding even animals and pets as nothing more than avenues to promote Science! There is good here.- -Instead of ending its life on the table, we should prolong its suffering, in the name of Science. Like good old Gabe, the FINEST of lab specimens.-"
Klein: "WHY AM I EVEN LISTENING TO YOU FOOLS? ENOUGH OF THIS MUTINOUS CHORUS! IF THERE'S A WORD I HATE, IT'S "MUTINY." I COUNT AS FIVE. LIKE THE MIGHTY HUMAN HAND I ONCE HAD, WITH ITS FIVE PENISES CLENCHED IN A FIST."
(Klein's, Dala's, 0's, 8's, and Borous' dialogue) Note: This is the full good ending to the Old World Blues add-on with the option to help Doctor 0 with fleshing out his name as "0" rather than "O".