|Minutemen radiant quest: Kidnapping|
|Speak to the leader of the settlement.|
|Travel to the prisoner's location.|
|Free the prisoner.||Pay the ransom.|
|Report your success to the leader of the settlement.|
|Reward: ~100 caps|
|Reward: A new settlement|
|Report your success to Preston Garvey.|
|Reward: 200+ XP|
After joining the Minutemen, these quests can be periodically obtained when talking to Preston Garvey or listening to Radio Freedom. The Sole Survivor is informed that an allied settlement has suffered a kidnapping, and is asked to help rescue the kidnapped settler. Alternatively, the quest may be obtained directly from a settler even if the Sole Survivor has not yet joined the Minutemen.
To proceed with these quests, the Sole Survivor must travel to the respective settlement and talk to their leader, who will give the details, which can include a settler having been kidnapped for ransom by a group of raiders, super mutants, or Gunners. There are two ways to proceed: the Sole Survivor can either give the settlement leader enough caps to pay the ransom, or they can offer to rescue the settler. Should the kidnapped settler not be rescued within three days of acquiring the quest, the kidnapped settler will be killed and the quest will fail.
To rescue the kidnapped settler through confrontation, the Sole Survivor must travel to the respective enemy hideout and locate them, often behind a locked door or gate deep within. After reaching the settler and talking to them, they will be freed and attempt to return home, although it is of note that the quest can still fail should they die at this stage in the quest.
After completing the rescue, the Sole Survivor can talk to the settlement leader to receive thanks and a reward of 100 caps, as well as ownership of the settlement's workshop (if it was not already owned). Paying the ransom also gives ownership of the respective workshop, but no cap reward. Either way, if the quest was given by Preston Garvey, the Sole Survivor must report back to him to turn in the quest; it will be completed immediately upon receiving the reward otherwise.
Settlements asking for help
Possible prisoner locations
- Back Street Apparel
- BADTFL regional office
- Big John's Salvage
- Breakheart Banks
- Camp Kendall
- Coast Guard pier
- D.B. Technical High School
- Drug den
- Dunwich Borers
- East Boston Preparatory School
- Easy City Downs
- Fallon's department store
- Faneuil Hall
- Federal ration stockpile
- Gunners plaza
- Gwinnett Brewery
- Hardware Town
- Hub City Auto Wreckers
- Medford Memorial Hospital
- Monsignor Plaza
- Nordhagen Beach
- Parkview lounge
- Revere Beach station
- Saugus Ironworks
- Scrap palace
- The Shamrock Taphouse
- Shaw High School
- Tenpines Bluff
- Wilson Atomatoys corporate HQ
- This quest will only be given for settlements with a population of at least 1.
- With the Nuka World add-on installed, this quest will not be given for settlements that have been captured or subdued by the Nuka-World raiders.
- The death of the settlement leader will result in the quest failing. If Preston gave the quest, the Sole Survivor must report their failure to him before the quest is removed from the quest log.
- If the Sole Survivor already has ownership of the settlement requesting help, the quest will have an undisclosed 14-day timer. This timer resets after completing each objective, and the quest will fail if time runs out with one exception: if the Sole Survivor received the reward and is currently at the "Talk to Preston Garvey" objective, the quest will complete itself after 14 days.
- This timer does not override the three day timer to rescue the settler; the rescue must still be completed within 3 days of talking to the settlement leader or the quest will fail.
- Roger Warwick at Warwick homestead might spawn inside the water cistern). This bug is shared with the other settlement quests.[verified]
In certain locations, NPCs might spawn in inaccessible locations (for instance,
- targetID.moveto player to teleport the NPC in question. This can be resolved by using the console command
- bell outside of it. Using the bell and waiting for an in-game hour (using the Wait option) will cause the NPCs to spawn near the bell. The Warwick homestead example can be resolved by building stairs into the cistern and a
- [verification overdue] Sometimes kidnapped NPCs might spawn without the quest being active, killing them and then talking to Preston will activate the quest in the player's Pip-Boy but it will remain unfinishable as the NPC is dead.