|Minutemen radiant quest: Kidnapping|
|Speak to the leader of the settlement.|
|Travel to the prisoner's location.|
|Free the prisoner.||Pay the ransom.|
|Report your success to the leader of the settlement.|
|Reward: ~100 caps|
|Reward: A new settlement|
|Report your success to Preston Garvey.|
|Reward: 200+ XP|
After joining the Minutemen, this quest can be periodically obtained when talking to Preston Garvey or listening to Radio Freedom. The Sole Survivor is informed that an allied settlement has suffered a kidnapping, and is asked to help rescue the kidnapped settler. Alternatively, the quest may be obtained directly from a settler even if the Sole Survivor has not joined the Minutemen (this occurs more frequently at unowned settlements).
To proceed with the quest the Sole Survivor must travel to the settlement and talk to their leader, who will give the details: a settler was kidnapped for ransom by a group of raiders, super mutants, or Gunners, and the settlers can't afford the ransom. There are two ways to proceed: the Sole Survivor can give the settlement leader enough caps to pay the ransom, or they can offer to rescue the settler. If the kidnapped settler is not rescued or the ransom paid within 3 days of talking to the settlers, the kidnapped settler will be killed and the quest will fail. Time is of the essence.
To rescue the kidnapped settler, the Sole Survivor must travel to the enemy hideout and locate them. They are often behind a locked door or gate deep in the hideout, and reaching them can prove quite dangerous. Killing the settler by accident will fail the quest, so the Sole Survivor should proceed with caution. After reaching the settler and talking to them, they will be freed and begin trying to return home. The quest can still fail if they die at this point, so the Sole Survivor may wish to escort them, especially if the area has not been fully cleared.
After completing the rescue, the Sole Survivor can talk to the settlement leader to receive thanks and a reward of ~100 caps, as well as ownership of the settlement (if it was not already owned). Paying the ransom also gives ownership of the settlement, but no cap reward. Either way, if the quest was given by Preston Garvey the Sole Survivor must report back to him to turn in the quest; it will be completed immediately upon receiving the reward otherwise.
Settlements asking for helpEdit
Possible prisoner locationsEdit
- Back Street Apparel
- BADTFL regional office
- Big John's Salvage
- Breakheart Banks
- Camp Kendall
- Coast Guard Pier
- D.B. Technical High School
- Drug den
- Dunwich Borers
- East Boston Preparatory School
- Easy City Downs
- Fallon's department store
- Faneuil Hall
- Federal ration stockpile
- Gunners plaza
- Gwinnett Brewery
- Hardware Town
- Hub City Auto Wreckers
- Medford Memorial Hospital
- Monsignor Plaza
- Nordhagen Beach
- Parkview Lounge
- Revere Beach station
- Saugus Ironworks
- Scrap Palace
- The Shamrock Taphouse
- Shaw High School
- Tenpines Bluff
- Wilson Atomatoys corporate HQ
- This quest will only be given for settlements with a population of at least 1.
- With the Nuka World add-on installed, this quest will not be given for settlements that have been captured or subdued by the Nuka-World raiders.
- The death of the settlement leader will result in the quest failing. If Preston gave the quest, the Sole Survivor must report their failure to him before the quest is removed from the quest log.
- Although this is technically a Minutemen quest, it can be obtained before joining the Minutemen. If the Sole Survivor has joined the Minutemen, the quest dialogue will include mentions of the Minutemen; this dialogue is omitted otherwise. This trait is shared with the other settlement-related quests.
- If the Sole Survivor already has ownership of the settlement requesting help, the quest will have an undisclosed 14-day timer. This timer resets after completing each objective, and the quest will fail if time runs out with one exception: if the Sole Survivor received the reward and is currently at the "Talk to Preston Garvey" objective, the quest will complete itself after 14 days.
- This timer does not override the 3 day timer to rescue the settler; the rescue must still be completed within 3 days of talking to the settlement leader or the quest will fail.
- After failing the quest, the dead body of the kidnapped settler can still be found in the enemy hideout.
PC In certain locations, NPCs might spawn in inaccessible locations (for instance, Roger Warwick at Warwick homestead might spawn inside the water cistern). This bug is shared with the other settlement quests.[verified]
- PC This can be resolved by using the console command targetID.moveto player to teleport the NPC in question.
- The Warwick homestead example can be resolved by building stairs into the cistern and a bell outside of it. Using the bell and waiting for an in-game hour (using the Wait option) will cause the NPCs to spawn near the bell.