The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
In order to find out precisely what Hank Madigan was up to, the dwellers need to find the keys that belonged to the five raider gangs and bring them back to old Rose. She will be shadowing them like a vacuum-tubed hawk from her perch atop the Top of the World.
Acquire the following holodisk key fragments from various places across Appalachia:
- Blackwater Bandits key fragment - Blackwater mine on the now feral glowing one Freddie Lang.
- Trappers key fragment - On Walter Griswold's corpse in Huntersville.
- Diehards key fragment - Obtained from the duplication terminal after finding the holotype on Margie McClintock's corpse in the Palace of the Winding Path.
- Gourmands' key fragment - On Morris Stevens (progenitor wendigo) in the wendigo cave.
- Cutthroats key fragment - Big Fred's BBQ Shack on the now scorched David Thorpe.
Return to Rose so that she can produce a "master key" from those key fragments. Then search for information on Rosalynn Jeffries at the Charleston Capitol Building and finally go to the basement of the Pleasant Valley Ski Resort to find a raider cache storeroom with various loot.
- To find out where to locate the keys, the player will have to first travel to the Blackwater Mine and access the terminal in the foyer. This will provide a series of clues on where to find the keys. There are five:
- The Blackwater Bandits' key is found on Freddie Lang, herself found deeper in the mine, in the bandits' encampment (northern branch from the main tunnel). She's a glowing ghoul, so it's impossible to miss.
- The second belongs to the Trappers. Their encampment is found near the Devil's Backbone and the Trappers note will point to the corpse of one Walter Griswold in the center of Huntersville. Recognizable by the camouflaged fatigues he wears, Griswold will explode with the force of a mininuke 30 seconds after the key is collect.
- The third was held by the Diehards. The player has to travel to the Sunnytop Ski Lanes and find Margie McClintock's Holotape in the suite on the northern end of the building, by the terminal. The depressed Margie destroyed her holotape, but there's a lead: She told her lieutenant what to do. His terminal, in the basement, by the rental counter, will point to the Palace of the Winding Path. Simply going there and collecting a copy of the tape from the duplication terminal (ground floor, northwestern office, near the back porch) will complete this objective. Note that to access the terminal, the player needs to grap the palace admin password in a dresser located in the cultists' quarters, eastern wing by the courtyard.
- The Gourmands' key is found at Bolton Greens. As usual, the key takes a bit of legwork to find. The Gourmands note on top of the main building leads to the wendigo cave in the Savage Divide. As usual, the key is located deep within the cave, rather than on its doorstep. Wonderful.
- After surviving the wendigos and mirelurks, the next stop is Big Fred's BBQ Shack. After fighting off the ghouls, located the scorched David Thorpe, kill him, and collect the fragment.
- With all the keys in hand, all the players have to do is return to Rose at the Top of the world and hand them to her. Rose has one final request: Finding Rosalynn Thorpe at the Charleston Capitol Building. Her body is in the courthouse jail, and can be located using the jail terminal to find a Doe, J. The holotape on the table sheds light on Rose's fate before she became a Miss Nanny.
- After all this legwork, the cache lies beneath the Pleasant Valley Ski Resort. Past the offices and the souvenir shop is a staircase that leads to the luggage sorting room. The keycard lies under the door mat before the entrance. It opens the way and gets the players through the laser grid (it won't shut-off for players for haven't completed the legwork). Inside the cache is a plethora of items and the broken uplink necessary to advance The Missing Link.
- PC When leaving the world mid quest, some or all of the key pieces may be gone from inventory upon logging back in, forcing the player to repeat the respective quest stages to acquire them again and being able to continue the quest. There is no known fix other than to finish the whole quest during one session to avoid triggering the bug.[verified]
- The bug seems to be triggered most often as a result of the game being closed abruptly - by crashing, task killing or using the ALT-F4 key shortcut. Avoiding those actions when possible and leaving the game world before quitting the game might help to prevent the bug from happening.
- PC Xbox One On the portion of the quest where the player character is asked to kill David, there will sometimes not be a tracking dot showing where Big Fred's BBQ Shack is.[verified]
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.