Kessler oversees the caravans and merchants of Bunker Hill and ensures that trade can continue to flow through the settlement. She mentions that Bunker Hill once counted on the Minutemen to protect the merchants but, since they fell apart, the people of Bunker Hill had to find a way to get by on their own. Kessler convinced the raider gangs in the area that allowing the merchant settlement to operate was more profitable than the loot from a single raid. Since then they have been forced to pay protection money, in addition to dealing with the demands of the various caravan bosses.
Currently, Kessler pays tribute to at least three raider gang leaders in the area. James Wire is payed in caps and causes such little trouble that Kessler has been pressured to lower payment, though she is hesitant to do so after what happened "last time." Jared is payed in chems, mainly Jet and Psycho, which Kessler buys relatively cheaply from the dealer AJ. Judge Zeller, however, has been causing problems by accepting the tribute but still hitting the caravans. She plans on hiring someone to take out his "army." In addition, Kessler also worries about the raider gang leader Tower Tom, who refuses to accept tribute (going so far as to kill one of the messengers she sent) and has been pushing ever closer to Bunker Hill's trade route.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
- After completing the Traffic Jam quest for Deb, Kessler will request that the Sole Survivor goes to the East Boston Preparatory School to kill Zeller of "Zeller's Army" and rescue any caravan survivors there, beginning the Prep School quest.
- Speaking to Kessler after The Battle of Bunker Hill will allow the player character to gain Bunker Hill as a settlement, with Kessler citing the Sole Survivor's "powerful friends" as the main reason for changing her mind regardless of the outcome.
Kessler appears only in Fallout 4.
- She can die during the Battle of Bunker Hill preventing you from being able to acquire Bunker Hill as an allied settlement and from completing missions.[verified]
- console command will allow you to properly proceed with gaining Bunker Hill as a settlement. [verified] Using the resurrect
Kessler will keep moving around even in mid-conversation. This can cause issues in maintaining dialogue. [verified]
- Speaking to her when she's asleep, she may proceed to lay down and stand back up continuously throughout the dialogue.
- Sole Survivor: "It's the Minutemen who helped you. If you support us, we can help even more."
Kessler: "Yeah, right. The Minutemen abandoned our sorry asses long ago. A lot of people's kin died because of that. Listen, you did us a good turn. But it would take a hell of a lot more for me to want to deal with the Minutemen."
- Deb: "You're here for your cut, right? How much protection money Raiders asking for this week?"
Kessler: "That all gets worked out in the ledgers after I collect the town's cut. Don't worry about it. All under control."
- Kessler: "You there! Caravan or Raider?"
Sole Survivor: "Raider."
Kessler: " All right, the market's open if you need it. Just remember, the protection we pay your bosses is worth three times your life. Leave people alone."
- Bunker Hill terminal entries; Kessler's terminal, update: Wire
- Bunker Hill terminal entries; Kessler's terminal, update: Jared
- Bunker Hill terminal entries; Kessler's terminal, update: Zeller
- Bunker Hill terminal entries; Kessler's terminal, update: Tower Tom