Deployed to Westside by Lt. Boyd to investigate local illegal activity, especially chems trafficking in the outer Vegas area, Ranger Keller is working undercover investigating distribution of drugs to the Fiends and the Scorpions raider gangs, posing as an associate of the drug dealer Prince. He recently had the chem dealer arrested and imprisoned, covering up the dealer's absence as a recent business opportunity that he went to check out. Contreras soon sends the Courier to deliver a package to Price at Miguel's Pawn Shop in Westside, unaware that his contact has already been apprehended and locked up.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the - perk.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character starts quests.||
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Dealing with Contreras: The Courier is sent to Miguel's Pawn Shop to find Price, Contreras' contact, but instead Keller is there. Talk to him and report back to Contreras. He'll ask you to kill Keller, but you can convince Contreras to work with him, Barter check of 70 or Speech check of 80. Whichever option you took go back to Keller and either kill him or convince him to work with Contreras.
If convinced to allow Contreras to continue his dealings and if left alive, interacting with Keller will only yield him to ask "What did Contreras say?" and then leave conversation.
Ranger Keller appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- PC After talking with Keller, the dialogue option to pass a 7 INT/PER check pops up and does not work and results always in failure, despite having 7 Perception and 7 Intelligence.[verified]
- PC After talking with Keller and passing the INT/PER check, if you choose to attack and kill Keller after he says you're under arrest, when you return to Contreras the result and dialog option will be the same as if you kept Keller alive and bribed him to play along and keep his mouth shut about the chem trafficking. If you kill Keller in this order you will not take a hit to your reputation with the NCR, and you will gain access to the stash and This Machine. Although it disables the ability to turn him in to Lt. Boyd (This occurs as of patch #2). [verified]
- Xbox 360 Sometimes, even if you kill him without NCR reputation loss, the NCR will be hostile towards you. A fix for this is to reload to the save after you killed him but before the NCR went hostile and travel to the New Vegas Strip. [verified]
- Playstation 3 If you say that you will rat out Contreras, and then kill Keller, you will lose no reputation with the NCR. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Upon passing the Speech check to convince Keller you are merely seeking Price to purchase from him, you will gain no XP for doing so, unlike every other Speech check in the game. [verified]