Summary[edit | edit source]
Ghost, an NCR Ranger from the Mojave Outpost, is concerned when she notices plumes of smoke rising from the reclusive town of Nipton. To add to her concern, there have been no travelers from Nipton as of late. Ghost contracts the Courier to investigate the disturbance.
Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
|Side Quest: Keep Your Eyes on the Prize|
|Talk to Ghost at the Mojave Outpost.|
|Travel to Nipton|
|Talk to Vulpes Inculta.||Talk to Boxcars.|
|Reward: 100 XP, NCR fame|
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Upon approaching the town, the player character is greeted by an ecstatic (if not manic) Powder Ganger by the name of Oliver Swanick who proclaims life is grand after winning the lottery. Moving past him into town reveals a row of crucified Powder Gangers along the first street on the left (north). To the left of that is the Nipton General Store, where Boxcars is located. At the end of this road is the town hall. Either location yields a non-player character who will provide the information required to complete this quest.
Inside the General Store is Boxcars, a crippled Powder Ganger who will tell the Courier what happened in Nipton. At the entrance to the town hall, a contingent of Caesar's Legion led by Vulpes Inculta or Gabban will be encountered. He will initiate dialogue, offer to tell the tale of Nipton's demise, and after a brief exchange, spares the player character's life in order for them to spread the word of Legion atrocities across the wasteland, thus giving the quest Cold, Cold Heart.
Talking with Ranger Ghost again after this point will complete the mission.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Vulpes Inculta somehow dies prior to the Courier's arrival in Nipton, his place will be taken by Gabban. The dialogue will remain mostly identical, save for a few punctuation changes. However, Gabban is unable to provide the quest Cold, Cold Heart.
- One can complete this quest by going to Nipton first before ever going to the Mojave Outpost. Talk to Ghost after talking to Cass in the bar and she will give the player character the quest, then they can complete it immediately by choosing the option that they have already been to Nipton.
- If one is accompanied by Craig Boone, are dressed as NCR, or have a bad reputation with the Legion, Vulpes Inculta and his troops will attack the player character straight away instead of initiating dialogue.
- It is possible to kill all the Legion members (except Vulpes Inculta) without consequence by killing them with silenced weapons while sneaking. This does not affect dialogue with Vulpes Inculta in any way, and gives good Karma for each kill.
- When talking to Vulpes Inculta in Nipton, the player character can gain Legion fame by telling Vulpes that they admire what the Legion did there.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize" is the name of a folk song that became popular during the American Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 60s.
- It is also an English idiom suggesting to keep your focus to achieve a positive end result.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If one accepts this quest much later in the game (after receiving the quest "Render Unto Caesar" outside The Tops casino) and have not engaged Vulpes in front of the Nipton Town Hall until after that (he will simply engage/disengage conversation), it is possible that the player character will be unable to complete this quest. Talking to Boxcars only offers the "I'll be going now" option, and thus there is no dialogue to complete the quest. Ghost will continue to ask the player character to investigate, rendering this quest forever incomplete. [verified]
- If this bug is encountered on the PC, it is possible to complete the quest by using the console command set "00144124".ghostint to 1.
- Engaging Vulpes and killing all the legionaries also completes the quest.
- PC If one enters the house that Boxcars is in before the initial dialogue with Vulpes, he may not appear and the four legion recruits will just stand in front of the town hall endlessly. [verified]
- PC If one manages to kill Vulpes without ever meeting him in Nipton and kill Boxcars before speaking to him there is no way to finish the quest. [verified]
- PC If Vulpes is not present (though the legionaries may be), using the console command player.placeatme 1300e2 will place Vulpes in front of the player character and he will respond to dialogue (note that the legionaries will not follow Vulpes out of Nipton and they may be killed after Vulpes' departure with the subsequent loss of faction standing with the Legion). [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If one goes to Nipton and talk to Vulpes before activating this quest, it will not show up in the Pip-Boy as completed.[verified]