|For other characters named Karl, see Karl.|
Karl’s role is to scout the wastes and make contact with tribes that may be able to help further Caesar's cause. He is currently stationed at Red Rock Canyon working as an ambassador of the Legion to the Great Khans, describing his role as "a token of our alliance".
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Oh My Papa: Papa Khan needs some adamant proof to discredit Karl before agreeing to sever the alliance between the Great Khans and Caesar's Legion.
Effects of player's actions
If the Courier succeeds in breaking the alliance between Caesar's Legion and the Great Khans, the tribe members will attack and kill Karl.
- If the Courier kills Karl, the Great Khans will not become hostile. This will still result in Legion infamy.
- Karl pronounces the word Caesar with a hard C sound sometimes when approached.
- Karl comments about the Burned Man.
- If the Courier has a positive reputation with the Legion, Karl will remark on this and recognize the Courier upon first interaction.
- If the player character is vilified with the Legion, Karl will not be hostile on sight but still say that the Courier is perilously close to making an enemy of Caesar, even if Caesar is dead.
- If the Courier has previously killed Caesar, Karl will state that he would avenge him if he were not on Great Khan soil. In some cases, he may attack on sight, but the Great Khans will not intervene for the Courier or Karl.
- Karl will remain at Red Rock Canyon even if the Courier has already killed all the Great Khan inhabitants.
- Legionary assassins may attack the Courier noting that "Karl sends his regards". Later on, Karl himself may appear and attack the player character after initiating dialogue.
- If Karl is killed, his footlocker in his room inside the longhouse can be looted with no loss of Karma.
- "My name is Karl. Glorious Caesar has sent me as an emissary to the Great Khans as a token of our alliance."
- "Enough! How dare you compare Caesar's finest to this tribe of savages? The mightiest Great Khan is scarcely a match for a Legion recruit!"
- "I understand you've been invited to meet with Caesar. You should be aware of the honor you've been granted."
Karl appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The Courier: "What's your role in Caesar's Legion?"
Karl: "I am one of the : it is my duty to scout the Wastes in Caesar's name and make contact with any tribes that might serve a useful purpose. You might say I'm somewhere between a scout and an ambassador. I'm assigned here as part of the alliance between the Legion and the Great Khans."
- The Courier: "Who are you?"
Karl: "My name is Karl. Glorious Caesar has sent me as an emissary to the Great Khans as a token of our alliance."
- The Courier: "Because you know they'd come up lacking?"
Karl: "[SUCCEEDED] The Burned Man would leave their mightiest shitting themselves in terror! I would... "
- Karl: "You're the one making a name for yourself among the troops, aren't you? What is it you need?"
- Karl: "I've been warned about you. You are perilously close to making an enemy of Caesar, and that is not wise."
- Karl: "If we weren't in Khan territory I would kill you where you stand. Caesar will be avenged!"