The Underground's second most powerful man, Kane's intimidating presence is usually stationed at the Maltese Falcon's door to the basement. Like many hired hands in a bar that do not handle the mixing of drinks, Kane's primary job is to serve as a warning: any misbehavior is not tolerated. However, more importantly, Kane forms the first line of defense for his boss, the local crime lord Decker. He also serves as the bridge between Decker and anyone who wishes to speak to him.
Decker, who holds court in the basement of the Maltese Falcon, has been having trouble from both sides of the law: Hub police deputy Tony Fry is known to be gunning for the crime lord, and merchants such as Daren Hightower want the Underground out of the way for better business dealings.
Unlike the relatively stable antagonism in Junktown, allegiances and politics shift rapidly in the Hub, and former noncombatants, strangers, and even allies often quickly became threats. This is particularly prevalent in the face of Decker's plans for expanding his "empire". Kane's installation was a matter of practical self-preservation.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Dispose of merchant: Kane must be spoken to in order to be allowed to speak to Decker, who provides the Vault Dweller with the first job. Kane will also provide them with additional details about the merchant and an upfront payment of $500, as well as later the final payment of $2500.
- Dispose of Jain: Kane must again be spoken to in order to be allowed to speak to Decker, who provides the Vault Dweller with the second job. Kane will also provide them with additional details about Jain and an upfront payment of $1000, as well as later the final payment of $4000.
- Take down Decker: After reporting them to the Hub police, Decker and Kane must be killed in the confrontation in order to complete the quest.
Effects of player's actions
If the Vault Dweller refuses either of the hit contracts, they will never be allowed to see Decker again, and Kane will turn hostile after three additional dialogue attempts.
|Leather jacket||Spiked knuckles||Mentats
Bottle cap x221
- "I don't think you understood me. Let me clarify. If you don't watch your manners, you will find yourself dead, tough gal/guy."
- "Don't touch that door, if you want to live. I'm the only one that can open that door."
- "I'm sure you're familiar with our sort of business, so let me just say it would be in your best interest to keep this to yourself. Shall we?"
- "No, let me clarify--if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe." - Vault Dweller
- "That's a secret you'll be taking to the grave. Decker will never talk to a skag like you."