The K9000 cyberdog gun was designed by researchers at the X-8 research center, although only two prototypes of the weapon were ultimately made. Following an incident in the X-12 research center involving Mr. Harris' death in a Y-17 trauma override harness, testing supervisor Dr. Adam Figgis gave away one copy of the gun to aid the response team, but they dropped it when confronted by the harness and were forced to leave it behind, where it fell into the harness' possession for the following centuries.
This weapon is actually an odd form of cyberdog, except instead of a robotic body in the image of a canine companion, a dog's brain in bio med gel has been provided with a machine gun frame, utilizing .357 Magnum ammunition. Its "canine" features include two metallic "ears" mounted on top of the weapon that move like a real dog's and a sniffer mounted on the jar containing its preserved brain, allowing the gun to sense its surroundings. The metal ears also appear to move up and down faster if the gun is pointing in the direction of an enemy.
It will growl when the player has it equipped and comes into contact with enemies, whine mournfully when unequipped and bark when equipped. It also has, atypically for a machine gun, a telescopic sight (x2.43 magnification) which gives a relatively accurate aiming point and excellent precision in firing for a chain gun type weapon. When fired, the barrels reciprocate, rather than spinning like those of the minigun.
The K9000 can also detect enemies out of visual and Perception range. When the weapon and its sniffer hover in the direction of an enemy for a few seconds, it will let out a detection growl, even at extreme range or when the enemy is hidden from appearing on radar.
The K9000 cyberdog gun can fire a total of about 2495 standard rounds, the equivalent of 50 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Standard, HP & JFP||2495||50|
- K9000 mod - Mentat chow - Increases rate of fire by 40%
- K9000 mod - Resla roil - Increases weapon DAM by 2.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|K9000 cyberdog gun||26||182||7||x0.06||13||3||27||2.9||1.35||50||2495||27||7500||277.8||75||8|
|K9000 cyberdog gun||28||274.4||9.8||x0.06||13||4||27||4.1||1.35||50||2495||27||13500||500||75||8|
- Big MT - During the first conversation, the player receives it from the think tanks after passing a Guns check of 50. However, if the player's Energy Weapons skill is higher than their Guns skill, they will get a second Sonic Emitter instead.
- One can be found in the X-12 research center, carried by the Y-17 master trauma harness (upgraded sonic emitter required).
- The K9000 cyberdog gun causes certain distress in Dr. Klein, as he is afraid that the gun may attempt to "hump his chassis."
- It is one of the rarest non-unique weapons in the game, with a total of two being obtainable.
- When received from the Think Tank after passing the Guns check of 50, if the Courier has a Guns skill of 75 or higher, they will also be given some .357 rounds with it.
- The K9000 cyberdog gun is the only fully automatic weapon in Fallout: New Vegas that uses .357 Magnum rounds.
- Despite being chambered in Magnum rounds, the weapon ejects rifle casings when fired.
- The popping and gurgling of the bio fluid in the gun can be heard even when the game is paused.
Behind the scenes
K9 is a homophone for "canine," another word for dogs. This abbreviation is often used as a designation for police and military units specialized in using dogs.
- Stealth Boy with the K-9000 cyberdog gun equipped, the brain case turns yellow. [verified] When using a
- There is a bug in the V.A.T.S. animation whereby it shows the weapon ejecting 12 spent cartridge cases instead of the correct number of 3. A close inspection of the damage dealt during one V.A.T.S. round will show that the weapon will deal the correct damage of 3 rounds and 3 rounds will be properly deducted from your inventory. [verified]
- There is a bug that sometimes occurs after wearing it, the ammo pack will be stuck on your back. This can be fixed by restarting the game. [verified]
- X-8 research center terminal entries; X-8 observatory terminal, Assistance Granted
- X-8 research center terminal entries; X-8 observatory terminal, K9000 Cyberdog Gun Sealed in X-12
- X-13 research facility terminal entries; Mendoza's terminal, Check out this mod I've been working on!
- X-13 research facility terminal entries; Skinner's terminal, Suggestion.