Head of the Synth Retention Bureau, Justin Ayo is essentially in charge of the Institute's security, being responsible for its surface operations. Coordinating Coursers and regular synth infantry units, it is Ayo's responsibility to project power and hit the enemies of the Institute. However, his attitudes towards other departments have caused the apparent neglect of his division, suffering from the lack of respect of other departments, particularly Robotics, delaying requested upgrade packages. His incessant bickering and demands cause much controversy within the Institute, situations that his second-in-command, Alana Secord, has to rectify "half the time."
It does not help that whenever an upgrade is delayed or rescheduled, Ayo becomes infuriated and accuses other departments of purposefully spiting him. Alana has to work overtime in these situations, to prevent him from walking into said departments with a host of Coursers in tow.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Mankind - Redefined: Ayo is vocally against Father's announcement to appoint the Sole Survivor as his successor, but Father's words remain final.
- Plugging a Leak: Ayo is trying to find out how synths keep managing to escape despite his efforts to prevent it. This quest is only available if the Sole Survivor has not completed Tradecraft for the Railroad. Otherwise, Ayo is too suspicious of their Railroad ties to bring it up.
- Political Leanings: Ayo wants the Sole Survivor to go and collect a report from a certain synth agent in a high profile position.
|Black Institute division head coat|
His room is located on the second level above the main floor in the cafeteria tower and contains a usable terminal.
Justin Ayo appears only in Fallout 4.
- Institute terminal entries - Infirmary
- Alana Secord: " We need to be able to collaborate with the other divisions, and that's a lot harder when they're always angry at us."
The Sole Survivor: "What's Justin doing that's causing friction?"
Alana Secord: "Oh, he's just pushy and demanding. He thinks his problems should be everyone's biggest concern. I have to admit, though, the other divisions have never taken our needs as seriously as they should. I guess they see us as a necessary evil or something. It's really not fair. Just listen to me. It's the first chance we've had to get acquainted, and all I want to do is complain. In any case, it was good to meet you."
(Alana Secord's dialogue)
- Justin Ayo: "
Alana Secord: "What now?"
Justin Ayo: " "
Alana Secord: "Please don't. There's enough friction as it is between us and pretty much all the other departments."
Justin Ayo: " My methods get results, and they will this time. You'll see."
(Alana Secord and Justin Ayo's dialogue) Note: DialogueInstituteAlanaJustin1Scene "
- The Sole Survivor: "If you're the acting head of the SRB, who are you filling in for?"
Justin Ayo: " In his absence, I keep things running smoothly."
(Justin Ayo's dialogue)
- Fallout 3 takes place in 2277 and Fallout 4 in 2287.