John Kendall is friendly, yet tough and no-nonsense. While he's not actively sinister, he'll follow orders without putting much thought into it. Introspection is not a trait he commonly displays. He loves being a cop and whether what he's doing is right does not worry him; he is the law.[Non-canon 1][clarification needed]
During the Lone Wanderer's tenth birthday party on July 13, 2268, Officer Kendall can be overheard talking with the overseer in the stairway to the upper level. Officer Kendall is assigned by the overseer to give the party just a few more minutes and then make sure everyone gets back to work.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character drops a finger upon death (Lawbringer).|
* He will only drop a finger prior to Trouble on the Homefront
- Growing Up Fast: The Lone Wanderer encounters Kendall at the entrance to the Vault 101 atrium, near the reactor level.
- Escape!: The Lone Wanderer encounters Kendall just outside their room, where Kendall is being attacked by several radroaches. The Lone Wanderer can wait and hope the radroaches kill him, attempt to save him from the radroaches or kill him. He is the first person that can be killed in the game. He will become hostile after the radroaches are dead.
- Trouble on the Homefront: Officer Kendall will be present if he didn't die during Escape! When interacted with, he blames the Lone Wanderer and James for the vault's problems.
* Only during Trouble of the Homefront
- As a 10 year old, before completing the quest Growing Up Fast, the player character can pickpocket two stimpaks from Officer Kendall.
- If the player character evades Officer Kendall instead of killing him, he will always appear at the closest level entrance anywhere in Vault 101 whenever a saved game is loaded from the main menu.
Officer Kendall appears only in Fallout 3.